Break in oil

Started by phat46, January 23, 2021, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I watched a seminar yesterday that changed my opinion on break in oils. Most of us are old enough to remember using non-detergent oils to break in an engine. The break in oils do the same thing. The reason for that is the modern high detergent oils wash off much of the protective coatings you put on your parts during assembly. After listening to the logic, the next engine I build will have break in oil in it. :) One other item mentioned was cam break in. Mr. Godbold from Comp cams says if you do it properly, 3 minutes is all it takes. If you do it improperly, in 3 minutes, you have ruined it. Their recommended procedure wasn't mentioned. Part of the discussion was ring seal and how quick it occurs if the machine work is done properly. They mentioned fresh engines on a dyno and doing 4 to 7 pulls and being broke in. No extended running, nothing else. I have said that after the 1st burnout, your engine was broke in if assembled properly. :) The Total Seal people said their rings are all radially lapped to reduce break in time so the ring isn't part of the problem.
TEAM SMART