POR Patch

Started by enjenjo, April 04, 2021, 01:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This stuff is made by POR 15. It's a much thicker version of the same material. I find it useful for patching floor pans and trunk floors that are intact, but have numerous pin holes. I tape over the holes from the bottom side, and apply the POR Patch from the top, leveling it with a Bondo spreader. I recently had a chance to see a car I did this to over twenty years ago, and it still looks like the day I did it.

Anyone else use this?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Not me. Neat word play though, pour patch. I have seen what seemed to be fiberglass resin used that way, maybe it was that.
Matt

WZ JUNK

You told me this trick many years ago and I have used it several times with great success using regular POR 15.  It is not for all situations, but it works great on pinholes in floors and the bottom inside of doors.  Saves many hours of metal work on areas that are otherwise hidden.  First I remove all the flaky and loose rust and make sure the area is clean.  You do not remove the rust.  Next  I apply a coat of POR, 15 then a layer of fiberglass cloth and then a layer of fiberglass mat, the same way that I would use fiberglass resin.  Done correctly this makes a strong repair and closes all the pinholes.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

Great tip. While not textbook there are a lot of circumstances when it makes sense to not cut out parts of the structure to replace...or at least it isn't the right time for it.

The key is probably the way the POR bonds to the metal. Fiberglass resin just won't do that, the bond is purely mechanical.

POR even sells its own "reinforcing fabric," which is just fiberglass.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

I have covered my new metal floorpans in POR 15 top and bottom and also done the inside of the body as well after stripping back the rust . I made a change to my trunk pans that required me to have to take a 90 degree bend out of a panel that was already coated . The por stayed on and did not flake off when I bent the panel back to straight . I used the silver stuff and after talking to a tech rep found out it is the better stuff as compared to the black . He also told me that the tank sealer is even more concentrated and cheaper . I coated the undersides of my fenders, aprons and running boards with the extra tank sealer I had . I have had my interior surfaces coated and exposed to daylight for a few years and you can see the silver turn noticeably greener in color .