409 stainless tubing for a driveshaft?

Started by 348tripower, October 05, 2004, 12:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have not been able to find 1020 DOM tubing at a reasonable price for a driveshaft for the 48 truck. I did find 409 stainless on Ebay. It is the same measurements as the DOM, 3" O.D. x.083 wall. I am wondering about the strength of it as compared to the 1020. Any suggestions?
Don :lol:
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Should work Ok. My only question would be welding it to the yokes.

Hijack! You still have the F1 steering box? Want to sell it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

How bout using regular rod? It will rust but so will the yokes.

Quote from: "enjenjo"Should work Ok. My only question would be welding it to the yokes.

Don Colliau

enjenjo

I'd use stainless rod, but that's just me.

348tripower

Ya thats what my in house welder said. :lol:

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'd use stainless rod, but that's just me.
Don Colliau

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Should work Ok. My only question would be welding it to the yokes.

No sold the F-1 and F-100 boxes. I do have one for a 52 F-5 it's a tad bigger than an F-1 and the ratio is a little slower. Interested?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"

No sold the F-1 and F-100 boxes. I do have one for a 52 F-5 it's a tad bigger than an F-1 and the ratio is a little slower. Interested?

No, a buddy needs an F1 box to replace his worn out one.

348tripower

And I just got rid of the one from my truck! :roll:

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "phat rat"

No, a buddy needs an F1 box to replace his worn out one.
Don Colliau

Bib_Overalls

If you have an in-house welder you must have an in-house machinest.  Boyd does.  So get him to whittle some stainless yokes for you.  Boy, that puppy is going to look good all polished up.  Are you going for the Riddler?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

348tripower

RATRODDER

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"If you have an in-house welder you must have an in-house machinest.  Boyd does.  So get him to whittle some stainless yokes for you.  Boy, that puppy is going to look good all polished up.  Are you going for the Riddler?
Don Colliau