Ford AOD trans

Started by Okiedokie, May 04, 2020, 07:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I have an AOD in my latest project that was rebuilt a few years ago by a well respected trans rebuilder that has since retired and move way. It is performing well with the exception of one hiccup. When the trans is cold [first start up in the day] and I approach a stop as it downshifts into first it feels as if I am crossing a cattle guard. It also lugs the motor. Shifting into neutral prior to the stop eliminates the problem. After that first downshift into first it performs as it should. I am unsure as what to do to overcome this.

crdnblu

For starters, when was the last time the transmission fluid was flushed/changed?  If you're not sure, a fluid change would be wise.  At least pull the trans dipstick to check/smell for burnt fluid; a clear indicator to change the fluid; a good first step to a diagnosis.....

Okiedokie

As I stated, fresh trans rebuild.

Crosley.In.AZ

If the trans is lugging the engine down as you stop.  It is not down shifting out of 3rd gear.

3rd Gear in an AOD Ford trans is direct drive unless modified internals of the converter.

Sticky shift valves and or the governor
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

Thanks Crosley, would you suggest trying an additive ?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Thanks Crosley, would you suggest trying an additive ?

You can try an additive.. I have not seen great results with them.  I have used Lubegard label additives
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie