File handles

Started by enjenjo, January 31, 2020, 09:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This sounds a bit silly, but all of us have a collection of junk screwdrivers. I pull the handles off of them, scrap the metal bit, and recycle the handles on files. Sometimes on bigger files you have to drill them out, but they work very well.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

thanks for that! why have i not thought of that before?

UGLY OLDS

Does anyone have a solution for the black Snap-On handles that deteriorate over time  :?:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Does anyone have a solution for the black Snap-On handles that deteriorate over time  :?:

Many years ago I had a Snap-On screwdriver handle that did that. The dealer told me I had to buy a new one, as there was no warranty on the handle. S I replaced the handle with one I found at a swap meet, not a Snap-On handle. Thereafter when the bit would get bad, I would install the bit back in the junk handle, get the bit warranteed and then switch it to the good handle.

You can still find handles at swap meets that will fit the Snap-On bit, similar shape, but usually in other colors.  I have also bought screwdrivers in those dollar 99 bins at the hardware store that had similar handles, and transfer them to the snap on bits.

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Does anyone have a solution for the black Snap-On handles that deteriorate over time  :?:

Many years ago I had a Snap-On screwdriver handle that did that. The dealer told me I had to buy a new one, as there was no warranty on the handle. S I replaced the handle with one I found at a swap meet, not a Snap-On handle. Thereafter when the bit would get bad, I would install the bit back in the junk handle, get the bit warranteed and then switch it to the good handle.

You can still find handles at swap meets that will fit the Snap-On bit, similar shape, but usually in other colors.  I have also bought screwdrivers in those dollar 99 bins at the hardware store that had similar handles, and transfer them to the snap on bits.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"thanks for that! why have i not thought of that before?

Have you been to "Handle it!" school yet?  :lol:
Matt

Canuck

If you are looking for a handle for a file,  Drill a hole into a Golf ball and use it by driving it onto the stem.  Comfortable to use with good control.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/