Straightening a rear axle housing.

Started by enjenjo, January 22, 2020, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have Uglyolds rear axle housing and centersection here. He wanted the new gears and posi set up, and the housing straightened. Setting up the rear end was a piece of cake once I got the pinion apart, it took a press to get the yoke off the old pinion shaft.

But I needed the carrier housing to set up my bar for straightening the axle housing. I had decided some time ago tp make a new straightening jig so I could do it cold rather than using heat to do it. So I made a cart with a 6" heavy I beam 6 ft long so I had a solid base to work from. Since this rear was stock length, and the bar I had was too short, I bought a new 6 ft 4130  by 1.5" bar 5 ft long, and straightened it to less than.001" run out in 5 ft. I then made two stands that clamped to the I beam I could hold the rear end on, and another pair of clamps that fit over the housing near the center that would hold the housing securely to the stands. I bought a stubby 20 ton jack to bend the housing with. I installed a pair of pucks in the carrier bearing bores, and installed the carrier housing with a gasket. I pushed the 1.5" bar through the pucks in the carrier bore, and then installed the axle bearing pucks on the bar, neither one was lined up.

Somehow I managed to loose all the pictures of the rig, but you can see some of it in the straightening pictures.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

How much spring back do you incur with this? I guess the 1st question should be "how much do you have to move it to bend it"?
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

WOW.  :!:  :!:  :!:    Does this make me famous. :?:   :?:  :?:  :?:

Thank you Frank for the excellent work........

Bob  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"How much spring back do you incur with this? I guess the 1st question should be "how much do you have to move it to bend it"?

I found that I had to take it about two to three time the initial bend past straight, to have it spring back straight. So if it was bent .060", I had to take it about .180" the other way to spring back straight.

58 Yeoman

Hey Bob...see if he'll sign it.

I would've liked to be there to see Frank do that...never seen it done.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I know I haven't mentioned it lately, but I spent nearly 20 years straightening truck frames for a trucking company. I did just about all of them cold too, except when I had to shrink them.