She's leaving me tomorrow...

Started by purplepickup, October 01, 2004, 10:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I sold one of my sedans last night ('30 Chevy project).   The guy is picking it up tomorrow (Saturday).   As I was gathering all the parts together tonight it felt like I was getting rid of a little piece of my heart.  These * project cars are almost like women.  You get used to having them around, take them for granted, make plans to spend time together but usually don't do it as much as you should....then when it comes time to part company you get a heavy heart.  I know some of you guys can let cars pass thru your lives and not think twice about it.  After all, it's just a chunk of rusty steel.  But me and that rusty chunk of steel have shared quite a few beers together late at night planning what its new personality would be like. Me sitting in my pondering chair, wondering....would it be a tub?, a severely chopped, in your face, slammed sedan delivery?, remain a 4 door?,  fenderless?,  chopped?, channeled?,  roof filled or not?.....whatever.  

Sometimes when we were alone I'd run my hands all over her firm smooth body feeling all the details.....the mounds, the depressions,  the gentle softness of where one part of her body meets another, the large firm headlights.....taking in the unique odor that told me she had been around the block a few times and had made so many others happy before me.

Anyway, the time has come to part company. I hadn't done anything much to it because I've been busy with other projects and since I'm getting older, and have too many projects, it will be much better off in it's new home where it will actually get some attention.  A kid (well, he's 25) at work is getting it and he's planning on giving it a new face.  I introduced him to the RRT and the HAMB if he has questions.  He's still getting ideas but he definitely wants it to be traditional and have an attitude.  I'm sure he'll whack it up pretty good.  He's a car guy that has a '64 Continental, '64 Chevy project, and a SS Impala so I think the sedan and him will be happy together.  I let him have it really cheap and he's real excited about getting started on it.  

Now if I could just bring myself to get rid of some more stuff.....

Here's a couple pics I just snapped while I was getting things around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Now if I could just bring myself to get rid of some more stuff.....

I'll take Murf!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

MikeC

George,
My wife and I laughed so hard this morning while I read to her your post.  This might be the funniest post I have ever read on a forum.  Thanks for a great start to a Saturday morning.
MikeC

SKR8PN

George..........You are NOT right :lol:
BUT ,I WOULD be willing to help you out,and take that old Purple Pickup off your hands for ya,on the cheap of course :lol:

Bruce,I'm in line right behind YOU for Murf!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

alchevy

George, I get attached to my vehicles too. It's funny how it turns out, when I talk myself into selling one of them, nobody wants to buy it...So after a while, I talk myself into not selling it and everyone wants to buy it! With my '40 Chevy, I had an offer on it before I ever drove it. Then when I started driving it, I had to shew away the potential buyers. The other day a guy wanted to buy it and he started naming prices! A car club friend of mine, dcool on the RRT, doesn't get attached to his projects or any of his vehicles if someone wants it, it's sold. He was at work one day and someone was looking for a daily driver pickup...at the drop of a hat, dcool was looking for a new pickup!
Don't know how he does it. I still have my '81 Chevy Pickup (Stepside) that I had in high school.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

purplepickup

Quote from: "SKR8PN"George..........You are NOT right :lol:

Thanks Jim, I'm working on it.  Hard to believe that just a few months ago I was a nerd. 8)

Well, the car's gone now and I'm over it.  Now it's time to get to know the Rambler a little more intimately.  I hate to leave a car unmolested. :twisted:

....oh, maybe when you guys say you love your cars you don't mean it that way.....there's so much to learn :?

I'm running late to get to Debb's.
George

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"George..........You are NOT right :lol:

Thanks Jim, I'm working on it.  Hard to believe that just a few months ago I was a nerd. 8)

Well, the car's gone now and I'm over it.  Now it's time to get to know the Rambler a little more intimately.  I hate to leave a car unmolested. :twisted:

....oh, maybe when you guys say you love your cars you don't mean it that way.....there's so much to learn :?

I'm running late to get to Debb's.

Dunno about getting that attached to 'tin', but probably a lot less stressful (and expensive) than spouses.  Might give it a try! :?

purplepickup

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"Dunno about getting that attached to 'tin', but probably a lot less stressful (and expensive) than spouses.  Might give it a try! :?
Well, old tin can still be stressful and expensive....but a lot easier to get rid of.   I just divorced another one yesterday....another '30 Chevy.  The guy is picking it up next week. :cry:
George

rumrumm

George, your post reminds me of a Beach Boys song on the Little Deuce Coupe album entitled, "Ballad of Ole Betsy." I understand you loud and clear. It felt pretty strange when I sold me '29 roadster, seeing it on a trailer be pulled down the street, knowing I would probably never see it again. But I went shopping for a my '32 the next week, and that was a rush!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

47wood

We name all our cars ...Fred, Bernie, etc. whatever name seems to fit, sometimes after one the great characters that have crossed our path.  Of course that makes it that much harder to part with them when the time comes.    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Wow.... You're really cleaning house! I usually don't get attached although I've had my Firebird for over 30 years...even longer than my wife  :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

sal37

George, I think you better get out a bit more and meet some more humans :D  :D but I know what you mean.  I am currently thinking of quitting out of my '37 club coupe and going with something simpler - possibly even (gasp) fibreglass.  (There is a lot of work required on the '37 and if it takes too long to finish the authorities will be taking away my licence and I will be in the old folks home).

Steve