Where to put it so it can be found.

Started by GPster, August 02, 2018, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

When I bought the Jeepster back in '93 it came with an Ohio title. Because of that it didn't require a verification of the serial number. Because the firewall has been mostly replaced and it is now sitting on a '87 GMC S15 frome I have no idea is there it any identification numbers on it. It would probably raise a question with the DMV if I asked them where the numbers belong but over years of reading posts here I'm sure that somebody knows. If I knew then I could at least stamp the numbers on a piece of metal and fasten it in the correct place. The S15 that furnished the running gear had been properly junked and the title surrendered but I have a Bill of Sale for it but I have insured it as a '48 Willys and am getting ready to buy plates for it (so I can drive it someplace other than into my garage door). Any help? GPster

enjenjo

You can get a serial number tag here

You can stamp the serial number in the tag, and fasten it high on the right side of the firewall. Originally it was fastened with drive rivets, but I have used POP rivets in the past with no hassles. I can stamp the numbers if you don't have the stamps.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Interesting site. I ordered the plate and got it on Monday.Unfortunately it was less than $80.00 so I had to pay their flat rate shipping but I got their Free catalog. covers all the Willys vehicles from the Jeep year til AMC. And they deall with used parts. Maybe I can increase their selection. Going to explore locally for an ingraver that has the numbers to stamp it but I might have to take up your generous offer. According to the information in the book there is a typo on my titlebut I'll use the number the State thinks are right. GPster

GPster

Well, I've had it long enough to mess it up. I should have taken the offer by Frank to stamp it rather than to have it gone locally. A local jeweler suggested  a jeweler/designer in the area and I talked to him and let him do it. His stamps were only 1/8" high and he didn't even lay them out straight. So I guess I'll order another plate, maybe two because of the handling charge. My eyesight  is not  up to finding $100.00 worth of things in the catalog for free shipping. I've got license plates for the Jeepster and insurance but the big local car show was in the midst (mist too) of a 2"of rain day so I'm not so troubled that I didn't have the car able to take it over.           "OH WELL!" There'll be the Lions Club local car show next "Father's Day". It will be only three blocks away. GPster

58 Yeoman

I feel your pain, GPster, only my problem was a lot less expensive.  I had bought a nice leather belt, but it needed a couple more holes to make it smaller to fit me. I took it to a shoe repair shop that punched a couple holes, but they weren't straight either. I think she was on drugs.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I feel your pain, GPster, only my problem was a lot less expensive.  I had bought a nice leather belt, but it needed a couple more holes to make it smaller to fit me. I took it to a shoe repair shop that punched a couple holes, but they weren't straight either. I think she was on drugs.

If there is actually still such a thing as a shoe repair shop... it probably IS just a facade. :shock:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I feel your pain, GPster, only my problem was a lot less expensive.  I had bought a nice leather belt, but it needed a couple more holes to make it smaller to fit me. I took it to a shoe repair shop that punched a couple holes, but they weren't straight either. I think she was on drugs.

What   :?:  :?:  :?:   Your scratch awl / Ice Pick is broken  :?:  :?:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

I usually put extra holes in my belts on my drill press with a 3/16" drill. Unfortunately with belts going from 28"-32" and  34"-38" I'm usually in between and need to do the deed. GPster