Chop question

Started by idrivejunk, September 21, 2018, 08:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Would you chop a Model A coupe before installing ribbed prefabricated metal roof insert or after?
Matt

chimp koose

I think you could probably answer that question better than most of us . Here is my spitball idea with no basis in actual experience . I would probably install the filler panel AFTER chopping the top as it would allow more edges to shrink/stretch back into shape if there was warping or mis alignment issues . There might be a bit of tension or stress in the large panel with the insert when you cut it off resulting in a roof that would not want to sit down on the window posts at all 4 corners . Again I have no real experience , just imagining what might happen .

416Ford

I would think it would be after. The posts are not exactly parallel so you would need to stretch the top. If you install the insert then chop it, you will be cutting the insert you just installed and stretching it.  That's my $.02 I have not done a Model A but I have done a chop.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

I believe thats how its going to happen. Can't ask for more than your thoughts and I thank you for those because you guys are right, it only makes sense that way. This pic illustrates the root of my concern pretty well. Frame and tops of quarter windows are leveled but the top sure is not! :shock:  So I have work to do up there but posts are the primary concern. I appreciate the input, gents. :)

Matt