Disc Brakes on 35 Ford Spindles?

Started by moondisc, September 30, 2004, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moondisc

Using a 35 axle & spindles on my Model A project.
There use to be a kit that used Volvo rotors & calipers, but I can't find the company, if they are still available.
Speedway doesn't have them.
Does anyone know?

Here's my project. 28/29 Murry 4 door sedan. No front doors, moving the cowl back and making it like an Austin coupe.
Building the frame out of 2x3" tubing. Suicide front end, split bones.

enjenjo

I'm glad to see you have "Vision" too. I was discussing this with a buddy yesterday. One of us finds disjointed, seemingly random parts, and we can see a car in it, where most people seee a pile of junk. It's nice to know others share my sickness. By the way, the Bantam  idea is one we share too, I just never ran across enough parts in one pile  :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moondisc

It wasn't in one pile Frank. More like several piles over 1000 miles!
Some call it vision. Some call it insanity. hehe

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "moondisc"
Some call it vision. Some call it insanity. hehe

Hey, Charlie, that BLUE thing don't look like a Studebaker!  :lol:

Let's see:  a '54 Merc, 3 Stude pu's, and now a Ford Bantam!  :roll:   ....I'd call it CONFUSION!   lol:  

Just kidding! ....I, too, can appreciate your warped sense of what's right.  I REALLY enjoy the weird stuff!  

Why use doors at all? ...Just turn the sedan body (what's left of it) around, and mount the cowl to that. .... It can be rear-entry like the old farm tractors!   :shock:

Have FUN building, Charley! ...At least, you'll be out of Jackie's way! :lol:  .....You'd better HURRY 'cause it will be snowmobiling season soon!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

moondisc

Well Bruce, the 63 went to Tenn. Saturday. Check out the guys hauler!

It's all Stude too!
Hope to go get the 50 in about 2 weeks.
Even though I've always wanted a Stude pickup in that body style, it will be for sale. Need all my time & $$$ for the A.
Tried to sell the Merc on the HAMB and eBay with no luck.
Then I got this one

It's rough, but with the 4 door for parts it could be one sweet Kustom!
Tried to sell the pair on the HAMB with no luck.
Was going to list them on eBay, but I said screw it.
I'll put them both in storage, so I'll have something to do when the A is done.
And what have you been up to?
Didn't see you all summer.
Give Luce a big wet kiss for me!  :wink: [/quote]

enjenjo

As I recall, you don't need a kit to install Volvo rotors and calipers on a Ford axle. There was an article on Hot Rod Mechanix on that for the dollar a pound roadster. A bearing spacer, which I think was a valve seat, and a plate mount for the caliper.

I'd have mentioned this before, but when I first read it, I saw Volare, not Volvo.

moondisc

I remember that now that you mention it.
Now I have to try and find the article.

QuoteI'd have mentioned this before, but when I first read it, I saw Volare, not Volvo.

That's a Dean Martin song.
Let's see you try and get that song outta yer head now that I mentioned it!  :lol:

enjenjo

[/quote]That's a Dean Martin song.
Let's see you try and get that song outta yer head now that I mentioned it!

He did a song about Volvo?

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"As I recall, you don't need a kit to install Volvo rotors and calipers on a Ford axle.
This is probably just a repeat out of Tex Smith's archives. I have an old Ford street rods by him but I have to read it further and see how much of it you'll need. If you can find the newer article it's probably been up-dated because this would be the 1975 version but at the start they're talking about using the Ford inner race in the Volvo hub And using the Volvo outers. The spacers that they're talking about in this article is for the inner seal to have something to ride on. My article is talking about 9" discs from '59 to'70 models  so the up-dated article might be better to find. Another thing that I have seen is that each race size has a whole list of bearings with different I.D.s that are designed to run in that race. That 1 3/16" I.D. is not that odd if you look at it in Metric. Years ago I found a Chrysler product inner race that had an odball bearing available that would fit the spindle. Lot of work that way but there can be some surprises. Do you have the '35 hubs?  Because they would be the last year before that wide5 pattern couldn't you knock the drums off the hubs and uses Ford.Jeep or Dodge 4x4 discs? I think there are some that the disc and hub are separate. Maybe even a Geo Tracker. GPster

moondisc

Quotecouldn't you knock the drums off the hubs and uses Ford.Jeep or Dodge 4x4 discs?
The hub and drum appear to be 1 piece, but I could chuck it up and cut it off.
Think I'll do that before I try and find 1970 Volvo discs.

enjenjo

I have a set of rotors and calipers in the stash, along with the wheels.

moondisc

enjenjo

Quote from: "moondisc"Volvo rotors and calipers?

Yes. Pulled them off a car back in the 80's. Actually I think any of the Volvos up to about 76 will work, but the later ones have an odd bolt pattern.

moondisc

How much do you want for them?
Anything going on out there (before the snow flies) I can use for an excuse to drive out and get them?  :lol:

enjenjo

I PM'ed you. We are going to do another build day I guess. Is that enough? :lol: