MG-MGA

Started by Mikej, August 10, 2004, 09:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

1959 MG-MGA will be auctioned at my local sheriffs department next month. It was stolen and they have been unable to find the owner. It looks as if it was being restored. The thief cut the battery cable and took the batteries ( your guess is as good as mine-2 six volts). Luggage rack was also stolen. (apparently an expensive item) Had hot wired it and left it in the country by a grain bin. Paint is abit scuffed and mice have been in it. What I was wondering is price to bid? I have been looking on ebays dream autions( nobody gets to the reserve), to some that have been sold for 8 to 9000 on other sites. ( Running and in good repair) The sheriffs office have been led to believe that this car could be worth up to 30,000.( this would of coarse be a perfect show car) Which they do not have.
Anyone here have experience with MG's?  Over all it it wouldn't be bad to fix if the thief didn't trash the motor. They did try to start without any luck.
Anything I should look at might help before I bid.

30tudor

The MGA was a very nice little British sports car.  There were a couple of A's that would be of particular interest.  A fixed head coupe (non removeable hardtop) would certainly be one.  MG also produced a small number of A's with a twin cam cylinder head.  Either of these models could demand the big money if that's your interest.  Some A's were fitted with disc brakes, might be something else to look for.  Some cars came with knock off wire wheels and some had bolt on disc wheels.  What is it you're looking at?

Mikej

This is a roadster. Do not know about the brakes but will look. I will also look at the wheels. I'm sure the the motor is not the the twin cam. Thanks for the input.

Just dig up some of that stash you've got burried in the back yard and buy it for the wife! I bet that little roadster sure looked out of place sitting next to a grain bin in "Boonedock" Iowa :)
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

meanmachine

A friend of mine restores MG's for a hobby. I asked him and he said the highest he would go would be around 3000.00 and as far as finding part there is a place just outside L'ville Ky that has more part and cheap prices then any other place he has found yet.
That which one can dream can be built......

Mikej

Daryle, I was wanting to buy this without digging up the back yard. May need to build a garage though.

Mikej

Quote from: "meanmachine"A friend of mine restores MG's for a hobby. I asked him and he said the highest he would go would be around 3000.00 and as far as finding part there is a place just outside L'ville Ky that has more part and cheap prices then any other place he has found yet.

Thanks, that is the price range I was thinking also. I may need the name of that place to buy parts.

meanmachine

I will be happy to get you that infor when you get the car.
That which one can dream can be built......

Mikej

No disc brakes but does have the spoked wheels with some rust.  They have had several people looking at it. They had a Live Link News report on it last week in Iowa and parts of Nebraska. I've known it was there for about 9 months.
 Daryle your right. The wife would enjoy it. Maybe she could pay for it. :wink:

Carps

I'd say US$3k would be close to top dollar for what you describe.

The B series BMC four banger is a tough little engine and I doubt the theives could have done it much harm, if any at all.  Likewise the gearbox and rear axle assy are pretty much bullet proof.  Upgrading to disc brakes is no biggie since MGB steering knuckles, brakes etc are a simple bolt on.

The chassis is one tough unit also and pretty easy to restore since for some reason they don't seem to suffer from the elements like some of the body structure.

Body is steel and prone to serious rust in the door hinge pillars and rocker panels.  Replacement panels are readily available and easy enough to replace or even make at home since they are pretty much just folded sheet steel.  Of course the outer rocker panel is a curved peice and a little more tricky to make at home.  The doors, bootlid and bonnet are aluminium and easy enough to repair if you're careful.  Lighting is all pretty much standard Lucas stuff and again easy to find.

If you can get it for good money, the process of restoration is relatively easy, there's plenty of good quality inexpensive NOS and repro parts available and the finished car will provide as much fun as a '32 highboy roadster, and handle better.  The BMC B series engine sounds great with the right exhaust system and it won't cost as much to run as a V8.   :wink:

The best bit is that the MGA is the last of the 'acceptable' MGs since it was the last to be built on a separate chassis and the last genuine roadster having side curtains and not wind up windows.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mikej

They finally set the date for the auction. Oct. 2  They have been advertising it around as a restored car.

Just in time...You can get it bought and whipped into shape in time to give it to Anita for Christmas!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Mikej

I was at the Sheriff's ( :twisted: ) office taday and they had someone working on the car (#@#%#). He did get the motor running. Still has to be hot wired and than unhook the battery. (discharges) I talked to the sheriff ( :twisted: ) for a second, man was he gloating.(#@#%) Running up the price on me. I might have to charge him extra for fixing his lights. :lol:

Mikej

I didn't get the car bought. It went for $9250. :shock:  That is the price that some have sold for on different web site, that were complete and good running order. They had a good crowd. Some flew in to bid. They quit at $9000. Better luck next time....