Drag Racing photos from the 60's and 70's!

Started by Ralph, February 19, 2004, 07:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph

Some local guys are putting on a drag racers reunion bash, for Winnipeg, Manitoba's old Keystone Dragways and they've posted 12 pages of old photos from the 60's and 70's. This'll take you back.........
http://www.mts.net/~red67/

Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

purplepickup

Wow, those pictures are really well put together.  Thanks for the link.

I've been scanning a bunch of old drag racing pictures I took back in the early '60s to preserve them, but they're nothing like that.
George

47wood

Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

btrc

Thanks for the link Ralph.  I raced up there twice I think in 1976 or 77.  And later I went to Gimli a couple of times a year until I moved out of Northern Minnesota.  We even won Comp Eliminator at a Div. 5 regional in Gimli in 1980.  Saw a lot of cars and names I hadn't seen for a long time.  We were always amazed at the quality of cars built in the Winnepeg area, especially with the hassle of getting parts across the border.  Gary Chomiski and Len Penner with their high reving small blocks.  I miss those days.

Bob
Bob

40_Tudor

Thanks, great websight.
Speaking of 60's race cars, a friend had a red 62 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 426 maxi-wedge. It was raced by a guy from Portsmouth, Ohio and was called Porters Pride, ghost image on doors from old decal. It had homemade collectors that came out behind the front wheels about the size of sewer pipes. Sounded like it was running in a cave when uncapped.
Anyway, does anyone have any pictures of this car from the 60's?
This guy has been kicking himself for letting it go for years.

mopar2dr

Thanks for the great pictures and a reminder of why I got into cars. Reminds me of US 131 in the old days. Jeeez,I can almost smell the nitro and tire smoke. There was nothing like watching two fuel altereds square off,well,maybe one other thing :lol:
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!