New Center caps for my Torque Thrust wheels don"t fit!

Started by BFS57, February 12, 2018, 02:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I recently purchased some new center caps for Torque Thrust wheels, they really look nice but Im finding out that the mounting holes don't lign up! The best I can figure is that the holes in the new caps will work but beed to be "elongated" about an 1/8" or so. Compounding the problem is the fact that the screws that attach the caps are "counter sunk" style.
I called a couple machine shops and they don't want to be bothered (I really can't blame them) So now I need a way to file the holes elongating them ( saw a chainsaw file that may work) and I need to countersink the top so I really don't have a clue what to use there? Anyone know how I can go about this task.
The screws are small, along the lines of a 4-40/ 6-32 size of screw.

Bruce

UGLY OLDS

Someone with lots more smarter than I am will chime in soon...DON'T file the holes ....There are two different size Torque Thrust center cap bolt circles depending on the age of the wheel ....( Possibly a third for REAL late wheels) ... You will need to do the research & then order the correct size ..... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

I have two sets of AR wheels, one set TTO's, one set D's, both use the same aluminum cap.

BFS57

Quote from: "Okiedokie"I have two sets of AR wheels, one set TTO's, one set D's, both use the same aluminum cap.
I know the ad said that the caps were for torque thrust wheels! I have Torque thrust 2 wheels!
Well Im getting an education on what to use to elongate the holes with, which would be a end mill?
Anyone else got some machining knowledge you want to share on how to go about this project?

Bruce

UGLY OLDS

OK ...I did some digging ....If you bought the wheels new, I would check with where you bought them ....

Here's the info I found ,BUT, don't take it as gospel ...Talk to an American racing wheel dealer as there may be other info available.. .....

The bolt circle on the older Torque Thrust center caps is  3.375 in........

I also found the same style Torque Thrust center caps at 3.625 in. Bolt Circle Mounting .....These appear to be for a later Torque Thrust wheel ..( Possibly a "TTO" ??)

Go to the Summit website & search for "American Racing Center Caps" you will see the different caps that are available ...After you pick one, click on the "Check my application" tab & a window pops open to show the exact model wheel that the cap fits ....
 Measure your wheels REAL close before you order .....

Bob.... :wink:

Charlie Chops 1940

One year at the Nationals I asked one of the American Racing reps why they did that. His only suggestion was that it was because they could. I guess it's the same reason GM has three different 6 hole wheel pattern diameters for vehicles that  cross over similar weights and purposes....because.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Charlie...I saw something on line that connected the larger bolt circle center cap to "tapered" lug nut use ......Something about changing the center web of the casting when going to tapered lug nuts & "hub-centric" mounting ......I have never measured any of the new style wheels ....All of my Torque Thrust are the old-style with "shank" type lug nuts .....They all have the smaller center cap pattern ......

Bob... :wink:

kb426

One option would be to drill the new pattern from the backside and use button head bolts instead of flatheads.
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Quote from: "kb426"One option would be to drill the new pattern from the backside and use button head bolts instead of flatheads.
Hello:
After looking at just what was last suggested I see that won't work. The button head screws aren't big enough to disguise the "fix" for the problem I have now!
After looking at all the alternatives I have decided that (knowing my machining equipment(hand drill) and skills) I will place these new caps in my for sale box to take to the next flea market! Or Craigs List!
Upon looking at another site I discovered that a company (J&B Microfinish) has the almost same set of center caps and he wants me to send him the stock center cap and one of the new ones I got to make sure he can make his center caps to absolutely fit my wheels!!
One thing I have learned over the years is that if something does not fit or work as intended I just move on with my thoughts to either modify the piece I have or go for something different! Believe me when I say that my talent working with metal objects is absolutely NOT the greatest especially when it comes to a piece of highly polished/finished Aluminum!!!!! I know how to royally mess it up!!! (at least I admit it!!)

Bruce