Aluminium floor jack

Started by WZ JUNK, November 27, 2017, 08:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am thinking of adding an aluminum floor jack to my list of wants.  I thought it would be handy to have when I need to carry one with me or to take outside the shop for some reason.  I have two sturdy floor jacks for shop use and this would be an extra.  I am looking at the Harbor Freight 1.5 ton $69.00 model.  Do any of you have one of these and if so what is your opinion?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Rochie

I have had one for about 5 years now and no problems...But it's certainly not what I would call a "production" jack. I don't think it would survive daily beatings well. I don't know if I'd want to lift over it's capacity.

Ohio Blue Tip

Had one for 8 years, light weight and I carry in my truck most of the time.  OK for the price.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

purplepickup

I don't have one but is a 1.5 ton enough? I blew out an el cheapo 2 ton trying to lift the front end of my van. It might have been faulty though.
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "purplepickup"I don't have one but is a 1.5 ton enough? I blew out an el cheapo 2 ton trying to lift the front end of my van. It might have been faulty though.

I agree.  It might lift one wheel of a pickup or van but the front half of a van or truck would probably be to much for one of these.  My 54 is a little over 3,000 pounds total, so it might be okay for lifting half of it but it might be risky.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Arnold

I too was recently thinking of buying one..I did a quick Google and read a bunch of reviews..not gonna buy one of those now.

tomslik

had one with the single roller "wheel" on the front.
ok IF you don't turn it while there's weight on it (like moving a car). snapped one of the sides of the jack.

the handle makes a pretty good pry bar though :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

416Ford

What will be the MAIN use for it John? I have a floor jack I keep in my car for emergency fixes and a jack stand. I would net want to use it in my shop unless I was picking up my lawn mower. I need the small one to get under my car due to ground clearance. (it's the price you pay to be one of the Kool Kids)  :)
The single wheel jack would be nice for Low cars like mine but not necessary for car like yours unless you plan on lowering it.
As for the alum jack I am not aware of the quality. I do have one of the steel jacks and it is my second one in 15 years. I think I was able to get about 10 plus out of the first one.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Rochie

Sorry guys I was out in the shop yesterday and took a good look at mine...It's a 4 ton aluminum from HF

kb426

John, I bought the Autozone version right after the 32 was finished because it would go under the front axle. I think we all know you get a good one or not. I think for a travel jack, it would be very acceptable. I'm like a lot of you, I have to be careful of how much weight I pick up. If I live long enough to get bed covers made for the 32 and the 51, a proper size spare and a light hydraulic jack will be the first things that I build mounts for. My thought is to buy it from the place that has the best warranty looking towards the future. :) Just for the record, the 32 weights 3300 lbs. It picks up one end fine.
TEAM SMART

348tripower

I highly recommend a NAPA aluminum jack. I had two Harbor Freight jacks one aluminum and one steel and the both failed. I bought both new from NAPA at the nats north two years apart. Right from the start I could tell they were better quality. They even move on the first and slightest movement of the handle whereas the HP jacks used more travel and as they got older all the travel.
Don Colliau