Compressor question

Started by enjenjo, October 08, 2017, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am thinking of building a lean to on my shop and moving the compressor into it. Since I live in a cold climate is there  any problems with doing this?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I know several guys here, and we definitely are a cold climate, that have them in outside uninsulated sheds.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

kb426

Frank, there are many compressors outside the buildings in my area. Most have some kind of automatic drain on them. I haven't heard or seen anything negative about this. We don't get as cold as you for as long but days under freezing are very common for 3 to 4 months.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Mine has been in the very back uninsulated, unheated room for years.  I try to remember to crack the water drain for a few seconds each time I open the main valve that connects the tank to my system of air lines.   I shut the system off each night.    I sometimes worry about how thick the oil is on cold winter days for the first start up of the day, but it has never caused a problem.  I suppose you could add something to preheat the oil before start up,  much like a block heater.  It sure is nice not to listen to that thing run while I am in the shop loafing.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Rrumbler

Most of the compressors I worked with were mounted in uninsulated metal cabinets outdoors, or  just under a cover of some sort, and the compressors on our line trucks were just out in the open or in a cage; never had any weather related problems, either hot or cold - at least none that we knew were weather related.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

58 Yeoman

Mine is in my unheated shop and doesn't have any problems. I only heat it up when I work out there, which may not be for weeks. I drilled a hole in the back wall of the shop and ran a 1/2" of pvc pipe out, then connected a hose to it and have a ball valve on the bottom of the compressor. I drain it about every time I'm out there.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

I have a cable operated air tank drain valve off a truck to drain moisture and it froze one year. The ice opened the valve a bit and the compressor ran a lot til I noticed it.
George

papastoyss

My compressor is under a 12ft deep shed on one side of my shop. I live out in the boonies so I drain the compressor when I go out to drain my bladder, at 70 yrs that's fairly often. A 18" length of 3/8 black pipe & a levered ball valve & I don't even have to bend over to drain the compressor.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

jaybee

I'm late to the party because work has been pretty busy of late, but my compressor was in an un-insulated "dog house" for 12 years. My Uncle had that same compressor in an un-insulated shop for about 20 before that. Never an issue, though it has a great big, 220v, 5hp continuous duty motor and I think the drive pulley is a little undersized.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)