4t65e Trans Problems.

Started by Arnold, May 25, 2017, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Mine felt like it was just "disengaging" very rarely..as in maybe every several months.. ONLY AFTER coming to a stop. Then zero forward drive for a split second..then BANG..engagement..Not good. I really,really baby this thing..always have. Noone else drives it.Good thing there was very little throttle applied on take off..always.
In a 2006 Uplander awd. 150k. Serviced regularly.fluid,filter. Never overheated. Never codes.
I never really paid much attention to it cause it happened so rarely.
The trans operates absolutely perfect in every other way..I can put the cruise on in very hilly areas and this just shifts up/down..very little throttle..just flawless..really impressive actually.
Yesterday it did it again..then a few times..I noticed that it was after moderate braking..I baby the brakes on this thing too.
I deliberately braked heavier and it did it a few more times.When accelerating up a pretty steep hill from a stop where the trans cannot shift into second..I braked harder and harder to a stop..and more and more throttle..not abusing it..but I could not get it to do it.Haven't tried that on flat ground yet.
This needs to be fixed. The last trans I fixed/rebuilt were a lifetime ago. The local garage I deal with a fair bit does not know ANY good trans guys/shops in the area. He deals with trans problems by doing some of the basics..some rebuilding..not much..just basically putting in good used oem's. Generally if he comes across rebuilt's he just throws them out.
I did a quick google.."put in some Lucas..change the fluid,filter(hasn't been that long..fluid does look and smell ok). I also saw where someone said to try manually downshifting into low as you are stopping as this doubles the line pressure. ? I dunno. Haven't tried that yet. Quite a few said pressure solenoid..(that looks like you pretty much have to take the trans out to do that)
A few said tps.

Please and Thanks for ANY help.

If it has to come out..I am sort of leaning toward finding a good used one..rebuilding it myself. How hard are these to rebuild? Expensive to rebuild? Something I can do? How much does one weigh?

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not work on FWD stuff for many yrs.  

Banging into gear on these trans is usually the forward band releasing at idle and then as pressure comes up with engine RPM... bang ! into gear.

Could be hard seals on the band servo. Pump wear.

A pressure gauge watching what is happening , may help to diagnose.  I dont even know if there is a pressure port on the late 4t65e trans.  Usually 1 port some where

This is not a DIY friendly trans to rebuild.  Mistakes are expensive when something burns up
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"I do not work on FWD stuff for many yrs.  

Banging into gear on these trans is usually the forward band releasing at idle and then as pressure comes up with engine RPM... bang ! into gear.

Could be hard seals on the band servo. Pump wear.

A pressure gauge watching what is happening , may help to diagnose.  I dont even know if there is a pressure port on the late 4t65e trans.  Usually 1 port some where

This is not a DIY friendly trans to rebuild.  Mistakes are expensive when something burns up

I was hoping you might chime in and try and help me :D Thank you very much :D I KNOW that you are good and KNOW trans!
 I meant  no dis-respect to you of course..and other good trans shops and re-builders when I said that the local garage I deal with does not know any good trans guys..or re-builders..and just tosses re-builts :oops: That is just the way it is around here and I am long out of touch with any and have moved 3 hrs away from a major urban centre..Toronto. There are too many bad trans shops and it would probably be just plain foolish for me to take it somewhere and just more than likely get burned..or end up with a big bill and then having to tow it to my local garage to put a good used one in after they told me not to do just what I did :evil:

On a positive note I did a fair amount of driving the last few days...and tried and tried to make it do it again. I COULD get it to do it the other day when it acted up. Not the last few days. Just worked perfect..NOW I am really lost :lol:

Thanks Again :!:

kb426

TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"Time to trade?????? :)

Thanks. No..don't think so. Might find a used one to rebuild myself and come here and bother Crosley :twisted: