Cranked - no start

Started by purplepickup, May 10, 2017, 02:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I was going to take my '01 E-150 van (5.4) van out of winter storage today and it wouldn't fire. It cranked real good. Since I just had coils and plugs put in I thought it might be fuel even tho the fuel pump ran and primed as normal.

I came in and did some googling to diagnose it and the first thing I tried was a small shot of starting fluid. It started right up and ran just fine. I drove it from the barn to the driveway, washed it and then drove it down the road with no more problems...not a miss or a hiccup. It starts quickly every time now.  Is there something I should be checking?  It's always ran perfectly before this.
George

WZ JUNK

I do not have any good thoughts on the why of your questions, just some smart * answers like:   Maybe if you lived farther south, out of the rust belt, you would not have to put your good cars away for the winter but rather drive them all year.      But then they do not always start here either.  

I will speculate that the fuel line had a little air in it and it refilled with fuel at just the same time you hit it with some ether.  I think that type of Ford fuel system does not have a recirculating line back to the tank and over the winter the gas in the line drained back to the tank.   Just my guess.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I have had my 01 E250 do the same thing once after setting a couple months. Once it started, no more problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'm inclined to agree with John. Each time you turn the key on, the pump runs for a few seconds. If that wasn't enough to pressurize the system, you would have no fuel. If you tried about 6 times turning the key off after each attempt, I have no good answer. I do agree with John's smart comments, though. :)
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Well, in spite of the winters I like Michigan too much to move south but the purpose of selling the Taurus was to eliminate my winter car and just drive one car all year. A compromise I guess. After all at my age how many cars will rust away before I hang my keys at the nursing home? Probably no more than two. :(  But I only use the van for towing and hauling so it only gets around 3K miles/yr and it's terrible in the snow so it gets to set a lot.

Guess I'll just drive it for now and hope it keeps starting. One question though. How often should I change the fuel filter? It's never been changed in 140,000 miles but the van doesn't lack power even under a load. I'm sure a new filter at this  point is a good idea but can I wait another 140K? :roll:
George

UGLY OLDS

NOW would be a good time for the fuel filter change ....Even with little use, it's one of those stupid that can leave you stranded at the most in-opportune times .....My vehicles see a lot less use than before , I filled the tank on my Astro van a few weeks ago when the pick-up rust fiasco project began.....( DON'T get me started  :evil: ) , according to the fuel log, it was the first time we put fuel in it since December.. :oops:

I change fuel filters at least once a year ...It's a left-over from my diesel mechanic days ...Filters are cheap & easy to replace ..  
 Pumps & injectors are not ..... :roll:  :(  
 Dump a bottle of gas line anti-freeze in the tank a couple of times a year ....Especially if the vehicle sits a lot ....It keeps the condensation mixed up ..   :idea:   ( Less moisture  also keeps the tank from ru....Sh&t ..There I go again.. :evil: )

After you change your filter, don't forget to pack the filter line connections & about 6" of the fuel line in each direction with chassis grease ...It keeps that 4 letter word from attacking the connections & makes the NEXT filter change easy-peasy..... :D  8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

What you guys are saying makes sense, I think the amount of time the pump runs when key is turned is an amount of seconds rather than when the FPR sees full pressure. I'll jump on the Bobwagon and say the sooner you do filter the better. That may give you a sporting chance at not damaging a crusty line.
Matt

purplepickup

I was just kidding about waiting on the filter change. I've obviously waited way too long and will do it more often from now on. It's a quick and easy job and one thing about not driving the van in the winter, it's not too crusty. It was on the salt at Bonneville once though and I did coat the nearby brake line fitting with grease. Fuel line looked like new. Thanks for the help guys. :D
George

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "purplepickup"I was just kidding about waiting on the filter change. I've obviously waited way too long and will do it more often from now on. It's a quick and easy job and one thing about not driving the van in the winter, it's not too crusty. It was on the salt at Bonneville once though and I did coat the nearby brake line fitting with grease. Fuel line looked like new. Thanks for the help guys. :D

I SEE BROWN  :!: AAARRRGGGG   :evil:  :(D)  :-}

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

probably just a stuck fuel pump... came to a stop between the commutator segments when you parked it.  getting the engine started with starting fluid giggled the pump slightly.

you might as long as you are going to change the filter.

but there is a fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box that you should problably change..