1 more part of the puzzle

Started by kb426, April 08, 2017, 09:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This is a short video that shows an overview of shortening the left side tube for centered pinion placement.

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Just in case you didn't know, most rear ends are bent. 90% of the ones I have cut were bent when I started on them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I believe I read in an engineering text somewhere that axle splines are designed to run with up to .050" mis-alignment per foot . I have used a lathe to shorten housings before and when one end is dialed in a 4 jaw and the other is in a pipe centre some housings spin like a skipping rope !

phat46

I've only ever narrowed one rear end, a Ford 9". I didn't know how it was done and all I wanted was to center the pumpkin so I just needed to shorten the longer tube. I just cut it loose from the pumpkin, cut four inches off it and welded it back in. I took it to a guy that had a jig. And he checked it for straight. It was perfect he said!! 😄 I often have wondered why the outside end is usually cut off on a Ford, seems easier to me to cut the tube at the other end, but I probably am overlooking something. The guy I took it to to check it on his jig said he had never seen one done like that, but didn't see any problem with doing it that way.

enjenjo

QuoteI often have wondered why the outside end is usually cut off on a Ford, seems easier to me to cut the tube at the other end,

Because they are usually bent.  :shock: So when you weld it back together, you weld the end on straight, and let the tube end up where it may.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

All the aftermarket ends I used for a 9" have a flat flange on them that lets it float in any direction to give proper alignment. This was the 1st rear that I have done without cutting off the ends and installing new ends. My narrowing has been either drag racing or pro street applications.
TEAM SMART