'40 Ford coupe deck lid ?

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, March 09, 2017, 09:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm restoring the bottom rear of the lid for my '40 Ford coupe - mostly inside rust through and poor prior repair(s)but also the outside bottom shape. Mine has, I believe, lost it's proper shape or contour around the rear bottom edge.

Question is, does the lid actually curl over slightly and have sort of a crisp line to a flat edge once the return is crimped up onto the inside skin?
I don't know anyone in the area with an unrepaired original to look at. I've looked at tons of pictures on line but none were close enough to show the detail although memory tells me it should be there.

Anyone have a picture that shows it well?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Charlie.......I will try to get out in the shop and take a couple of photos for you.I'm not very computer savy but I'll round the grandson up to help.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Carnut

don't know if this will help, don't have any pics of under the lip.

Charlie Chops 1940

Yes, those pics are helpful. I'm done with the patch work and prepping for inside primer ad then will fit back on the car for final shaping.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Charlie....Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We've had a couple of snow storms and the grandkid was stuck at school. Did get him to take some photos of both of my 40 deck lids if you still would like to see them. Just remembered,I have your email in my address book......I'll just send them to you.Hope these help.....Let me know if you get them.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks 40, those were useful also.

Charlie

A Hooligan!