I looked at this today

Started by kb426, February 07, 2017, 07:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

What do you guys think? :)
This is a 61 short bed.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

The way the drivers door fits kinda fraids me ... :?   That's usually an indicator of door post / hinge area rot ...With the L/F fender rotted in the same area, I would be REALLY be fraid of that door post ....... :roll:

Will they take the '58 Ford in trade  :?:  :idea:  :idea:   ( Less the rocker assemblies & standard trans stuff, of course.. :lol:   )

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Looks like  a project.

These trucks all have rot in the fender area rear & hinge pocket as ugly mentions.

as I recall , these truck years were the torsion bar suspension  on the front?  1961 & 1962 ?

oh... loose the eye brow hood. Later hoods look much better IMHO
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

No doubt you have lots of work ahead but that is a body style that I really like . Short box and fleet side to boot ! Would make a neat truck for sure .

idrivejunk

To have and hold forever or to flip? I know where there's a panel truck like it, doing about the same thing but in one piece.
Matt

GPster

My opinion should be taken with a "grain of salt"  but  that is my least favorite of the design style of trucks. I like them just as well as '58 Fords (and Ford's trucks too!). It seems like their design departments  let 4 headlights dictate their lack style. Of course that would imply that I have style but there's not much you can do to that to make it look like anything but an old truck. Someone that loves them could tell you that there are small differances between Chevy and GMC and year and model so pieces might not be as easy to come by as you'd think. Years ago I saw a few pictures in a magazine of * Dean (I think) sectioning one about 6". He was taking that indentation out of the body from one end to the other. The idea looked like the "Saving Grace" to me but I never saw any more about it. GPster

Carnut

I like it. I'm a square body Chevy truck fan.

kb426

I'm going to walk away from this one. If it was a 63 or newer, I'd be interested. I was prepared to change hoods but the windshield is different. In keeping with the idea that you might be the only person that is going to own something, you better like it. :) No love affair for 61's.
TEAM SMART

Beck

I'm a little late here since the decision has already been made, but....

I agree on passing.

I had a 62 for a while. I'm 6' tall and knocked my knee on the windshield post more times than not getting in and out. The later non-dog leg windshield body styles are much more comfortable getting in and out of. As far as appearance, the 2 styles both look good to me.

When building one of these trucks it may save you a lot of time to also look for an old grain truck of the same style. Most of those truck cabs are pretty solid. The cabs swap. The transmission tunnel is the only difference. The grain truck may be much cheaper than patching all the floors, rockers and cab corners. If you think it might be too rusty it is. It is so much cheaper in the long run to find a more expensive less rusted start.

A common swap on these trucks is the later model square body front suspension. It gives you updated suspension, brakes and steering. It fits but it's a little wider. That makes the front track width wider than the rear. When adding the same era rear axle the tires don't like to clear the rear wheel wells. I built a step side which made the rear problem easier to solve. I built some fender extensions to place between the bed side and the stepside fenders. I also tapered the small step. My truck was painted satin black. You truly could not see those extensions once installed.

I did a complete frame swap on my truck. This is NOT a good idea unless you are building a tall 4x4. The later frame places the cab several inches higher. I solved the problem by adding to the bottom and taking off the top of the later frame. That was way too much work. The wheel base is also different on the later trucks. I shortened my frame to match the original.

I like the body style and would like to own another of this era truck. Good starting projects are getting hard to find.

purplepickup

Beck's diesel powered truck.
George

kb426

Beck, I agree completely with your statement on finding good starting points. I would think I could haul it to town  and sell it for some profit?????? The yard is full of projects so at this time I'm not going to add that to the list of things to do.
TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Quote from: "Beck"

I had a 62 for a while. I'm 6' tall and knocked my knee on the windshield post more times than not getting in and out. The later non-dog leg windshield body styles are much more comfortable getting in and out of. As far as appearance, the 2 styles both look good to me.

Man, that's the truth.  I worked in and out of those body styles from '61 thru '66, and when I got the first '64 without the dogleg, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - no more bummed up knees.  I do like the body style, though, they make nice looking rods.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Beck

Hmmmm... I wonder if that dogleg in the windshield post was the original cause for the knee surgery I just had to have? Very possible.

sirstude

There is a whole stack of these series PUs, Surburbans, and Panels in the yard here.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us