Axle bearing sizes, 8" v 9"

Started by jaybee, March 16, 2017, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

What's the axle diameter across the bearing seat of an 8" Ford v a 9" Ford rear?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

All 8" and most 9" car rear ends use

Wheel Bearing I.D.: 1.378 in.
Wheel Bearing O.D.: 2.8346 in.
Wheel Bearing Width: .8449 in.

High performance cars and most trucks  9" use

Wheel Bearing I.D.: 1.5312 in.
Wheel Bearing O.D.: 3.1496 in.
Wheel Bearing Width: 1.083 in.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Beck

Quote from: "kb426"28 versus 31 spline.
Are you saying the 31 spline use the larger bearings?

Are these both tapered rollers?
Are ball bearings an option?

kb426

Yes. They are both ball bearings. The exception to this rule is if you start looking at 8.8 style rears. The 28 spline is the small bearing end and the 31 is the large but they are the same style of bearing as a 12 bolt chevy where the axle is the inner race.  There was a special bearing made to use a small end housing with 31 spline axle but it's pricey and wasn't as durable as the large bearing end. This link will show you the generally used housing ends.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Strange-Engineering/Strange-Engineering-Housing-Ends/744494/10002/-1
Boy, I sure wandered on that one. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Thanks! In this case we're talking 28 spline axles.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"Thanks! In this case we're talking 28 spline axles.

Ahh, but it's not that easy. From 1957 to 1962 Ford only made 28 spline axles for every thing, but station wagons, Rancheros, and F100 trucks all had the big bearings. And in the mid 70s F100 trucks had 28 spline axles, and F150 had 31 spline axles, and both used the big bearings. In addition during the same time period Ford changed from a sealed ball bearing, to a tapered roller bearing with the same ID and OD, and an external seal, and those housings have no provision for an internal axle seal.

Beck

On the Strange site I see 2 of the big bearing axle ends. Early (H-1135) and Late (H-1137). These have the same bore. Do they take the exact same bearing? I have always been confused about this. I was going to put 9" ends on my 8.8" axle but couldn't figure out what to use.

I expect the biggest difference between the 2 is what brakes fit each.

Does anyone have a bearing # handy?

I am going to be building another axle soon. I want the 9" ends on the next one.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Beck"On the Strange site I see 2 of the big bearing axle ends. Early (H-1135) and Late (H-1137). These have the same bore. Do they take the exact same bearing? I have always been confused about this. I was going to put 9" ends on my 8.8" axle but couldn't figure out what to use.

I expect the biggest difference between the 2 is what brakes fit each.

Does anyone have a bearing # handy?

I am going to be building another axle soon. I want the 9" ends on the next one.

The early one has 1/2" axle retaining bolts. The other one know as the Torino pattern as that is where it was first used, has 3/8" retaining bolts. The 8.8 Explorer rear has the Torino pattern also.

The sealed ball bearing is PN P88128R

The tapered roller bearing is PN  BR7

Beck

The sealed ball bearing is PN P88128R

And this bearing would fit into either of the "big" ends?

I have a housing already made with these ends on it. It doesn't have axles. How much wider is it from axle flange to axle flange than it is from end to end of the housing?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Beck"The sealed ball bearing is PN P88128R

And this bearing would fit into either of the "big" ends?

I have a housing already made with these ends on it. It doesn't have axles. How much wider is it from axle flange to axle flange than it is from end to end of the housing?

Yes, but in the case of a housing that had tapered rollers originally there may not be a bore for the internal seal. They make a bearing with an Oring groove on the outside that will take care of this. Axle stick out is generally 2.375".