CV Boot failure?

Started by Arnold, June 23, 2016, 10:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

10 y/o. Driven often..serviced and gotten under every 4 months/4000 miles whichever comes first.By me. CV boots inspected of course.
ifs and irs 4wd. All boots look perfect and original.
I have seen enough cracks,splits,holes lol on boots.
This one was inspected about 4 months ago..about 4000 miles.
There is nothing left of this boot! Save for just what is under the clamps at each end. I was stunned to say the least :shock: Look under..look around..wtf :?: bare joint..(no noise of course..right now there is obviously no grease..and it has some play in it now..it could be maybe repacked and re-booted..but with the some play in it now and the work involved ya no..change the shaft)

Looks like the boot just completely deteriorated..rotted?..just how I do not know :?: I have never seen this before. With no warning.All the other ones still look perfect.

Maybe hit something without me knowing..picked up something..piece of wire..something got stuck up there..drove over something that got thrown up there and it rotted out the boot..hot asphalt from all the road work here?

Miniscule gas leak spraying on it :lol:

I am lost :evil: Any ideas? The rubber in the ends of the boots still looks good. There is almost no evidence left..some greasy thin hair like strands of rubber. Maybe something? inside the joint? became shrapnel. Defective boot? and just let go? Maybe all the others are ready to go to?

Thanks..

May have to cut the axle shaft to get this apart :evil:  :evil: The hub/axle shaft spline interface is probably rotted together ..been there done that.

Crosley.In.AZ

they just fail. Age , heat, road dirt.

back in the  early  90's when FWD cars  from the big 3...   I made a bunch of money fixing CV boots & shafts.  Buy a few tools, learn a few tricks for R&R

The rubber in them daze did not last long at all
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"they just fail. Age , heat, road dirt.

back in the  early  90's when FWD cars  from the big 3...   I made a bunch of money fixing CV boots & shafts.  Buy a few tools, learn a few tricks for R&R

The rubber in them daze did not last long at all

"Heat"..leaky tailpipe..next to impossible to see with it all together..tailpipe passes close to cv shaft..(boot part)..rusted through on the bottom..I guess hot exhaust gas on rubber not a good combo

:lol:

enjenjo

I've rebuilt two in the last few months. As long as the balls and tracks are good, clean, grease, and new boot. By the way, the grease pacs that come with the new boots are packaged right here in Swanton.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

Can you still get split boots so you don't have to take everything apart?
If so, are they any good?

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I've rebuilt two in the last few months. As long as the balls and tracks are good, clean, grease, and new boot. By the way, the grease pacs that come with the new boots are packaged right here in Swanton.

I rebuilt this one..had to use the original outboard boot..could not find one. The inner was easy to get.

Split boots/gluey stuff..work for some guys some app's..

wayne petty

ozone deteriorates the rubber boots..   dirt and grime get on them also. cause wear..   tow truck hooks do most of the damage.  in places where roads get slush and ice.. it can build up and cause issues..

OEM manufacturers have found out that if the boot material is not quite as good.. they will sell more parts.  thank you charles kettering for coming up with  planned obsolescence but also built in obsolescence.  where you may recall seeing the durability testing of various components..  that is done to make sure they are just built strong enough to last thru the warranty period.

ever wonder why one brand of car had head gaskets failing at 105,000 miles on a 100K warranty..  how much engineering did that take..