Oil Q

Started by Arnold, July 14, 2016, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Better brand name oil lasts to..then it starts to get used up a tiny bit..no smoke,leaks. Not long after that it starts to get used up faster and gets filthy quick..not long after that you do not want this stuff in your engine..time to change it..I change it right before this happens.

At some point I saw our local place had oil on  for too cheap not to buy..same credentials..made by Shell..base

This oil does not get used up. Looks like it was just poured in..I dunno how long it would last..but I change it anyway.  

I have gone back and forth and done this a few times.

1 side says the better oils are the ones to use as obviously they are breaking down and allowing deposits to be broken down and removed.

I used this cheap oil a lifetime ago in different stuff..all these so called experts saying it would wreck my engine..blah blah..1 vehicle I had I ONLY used this cheap stuff..still ran like new at 450,000..(till the frame rotted) :lol:

Me..I think it is bs..I think that the so called "better" name brand oils are simply breaking down for whatever reason..and the cheap oils..made by Shell are not.

Any thoughts?

chimp koose

There was an article MANY years ago in consumer reports magazine (they don't sell ads , they owe no favours ) . In the report they used all rebuilt engines of the same type ,from the same rebuilder , in new York taxis . They had sample groups , each  using a different brand of oil .All oils tested met the same SAE rating . All taxis had their oil changed at the factory recommended intervals . Any vehicle that went past the recommended interval before the oil was changed got taken out of the test group . When testing was over , I don't remember how many miles but it was a lot ,each engine was disassembled and all parts measured . There was no measurable difference in wear from the most expensive oil to the cheapest bargain brand used . This test was done back in the carburetor days when oil got more contaminants in it than it would today . If you change oil regularly , it probably doesn't matter what brand you use for normal everyday driving .

kb426

I had data from Southwest Research Center that covered most available oils. Everyone was above normal levels of protection. The failure was when the temps had risen to extreme levels which were only caused by a failure of cooling or lubrication.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"I had data from Southwest Research Center that covered most available oils. Everyone was above normal levels of protection. The failure was when the temps had risen to extreme levels which were only caused by a failure of cooling or lubrication.

Thanks guys :D

My buddy has an MB..I think they have to hold people when they do this.. :twisted: Oil change..$400..every other one..$800..or they will not honor the warranty..they bill him for 13 L of oil..@ $20 L
  His is recently out of warranty..he needs "European Formula" 0/40 synthetic..I found it at our large car/home place..$40 for a big jug..
He is none too happy with doing it himself..MAINLY because he is now getting the oil for like $10/L,,and it holds NOT 13 L..but 8L :evil: a little bit more pain is that Fram has cheap filters for this :lol: