More little tractor tranny ideas needed

Started by Beck, April 15, 2016, 03:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

54stude

Would a power glide and a pump drive work?

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/powerglide-adjustable-front-pump-drivehtml/

Would it be light enough without a torque converter?

tomslik

don't know if this is any help but I see quicktime is building ALUMINUM bellhousings now....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Beck

I met with a machinist a couple times in the last 2 weeks. We explored the idea of using quick change gears in a small gearbox. The issue is, I need a neutral. Reverse would be nice. After we talked we mutually agreed that this should be put on hold for now. He is still thinking about how to put it together. Ideally there would be a side/end box that contained a pair of QC gears and that is the only part that would need to be taken apart to swap gearing. We agreed the price would high.

I have still been considering using chain drive and swapping one sprocket to change gears. Neutral is still an issue. Reverse wouldn't be possible. My biggest issue with this is the location of the rear chain, right between my legs. I don't use the jewels any more, but I hate to loose them.

#1 idea right now is to have a 3 speed Saginaw put together with an aluminum housing. I would need to change rear axle gears to adjust to the track conditions. I am currently set up with an 8.8 axle. I would swap to a 9" to do this easier. I would probably put a full floater setup on it. That way I wouldn't have to remove tires and wheels to do a gear change. Considering what an aluminum third member is costs and the number of them I would want this could be expensive! I am still unsure of what style differential to use. Currently I have a posi unit. That may not allow brake steering. I may have to swap to a spool to save some weight and forget about brake steering.

Beck

Quote from: "54stude"Would a power glide and a pump drive work?

I have never heard of this. How do they launch? Hard / soft / on or off the throttle?

The biggest problem with a glide is the high first gear. In the 350 turbo that is currently in it I have a 3.75 low gear. The Saginaw 3 speed I am looking at has a 3.54 gear.

With a 1.82 low gear in the powerglide and 7.00 rear gears I would have a 55 mph tire speed. That is too high. I need to be able to get down to 40 at least.

54stude

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "54stude"Would a power glide and a pump drive work?

I have never heard of this. How do they launch? Hard / soft / on or off the throttle?

The biggest problem with a glide is the high first gear. In the 350 turbo that is currently in it I have a 3.75 low gear. The Saginaw 3 speed I am looking at has a 3.54 gear.

With a 1.82 low gear in the powerglide and 7.00 rear gears I would have a 55 mph tire speed. That is too high. I need to be able to get down to 40 at least.

Normally these are used for circle track use, and they put a hydraulic valve in place to bleed off pump pressure when you don't want the transmission to be engaged.  Some are hooked to a clutch pedal, but you could use a lever also.

You would use the valve to ease it into moving  forward, and probably not mess with it until forward progress  is stopped.

Not sure if it will work for you, just an idea.