I need a transmission snap ring pleirs

Started by Beck, June 27, 2016, 11:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I need to purchase a pliers to remove/install the rings in manual transmissions. I currently have a Saginaw 3 speed apart. I had a hard time taking the rings off with what I had. I cannot reinstall them without the proper tool. Does anyone know a brand and or part #.

I should probably buy new snap rings. I should be able to source them from the online rebuild sources. Does anyone have contacts in the NASCAR transmission circles?  I understand that used NASCAR bearings are the hot ticket for the input shaft bearings. They use the really heavy duty, quality parts and there just broke in when removed.

Beck

I should probably add that these retaining rings are not the ones with the small holes in the ends that the pliers tips insert into. The retaining rings in the transmission are beveled to a point on the outside diameter of the ring.

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Beck

Thanks 58 Yeoman,
They had them in stock at Grainger. I have 1 day delivery from them, but I ordered a little late. It should be in my hands on Thursday.
My problem was created by looking for snap ring pliers. They are called lock ring pliers, or actually Internal Horseshoe Washer Lock Ring Plier.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sounds like you found the tool.  I have many pliers for various applications.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)