Marine - boat wheel bearing grease?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 13, 2016, 11:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Is the boat axle bearing grease better in a wet condition? I have never used the stuff.  Is it just hype?

I am in the process of rebuilding my hot water parts washer basket drive mechanism.

it has 3 bearings and 3 seals on the 1 inch diameter shaft.  2 of the bearings are  sealed units, the top bearing  is a tapered roller bearing like common stuff.  Trailer axle type bearing. 2 bearings at top, 1 bearing at the bottom

That top bearing is under a seal & covered by a hub too.  Still, need to pack the area in some type of grease between the seals
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

papastoyss

I have 2 brothers who are fishermen & they use only Mystic JT-6 grease on their trailer bearings. They clean & repack every spring & never have a bearing failure.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

Tony ... I remember seeing a thread, ( possibly on the HAMB ?),  about guys using John Deere "Corn Head Grease" or something like that for just about everything ... Was supposed to be waterproof/drip proof  & really a good universal lubricant ...
Maybe do a quick search ???

Bob ..  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Arnold

Synthetic grease is very good. Plumbing grease is about the most waterproof stuff I have experienced..not sure about it's load/wear aspect

Rrumbler

If these run in the cleaning solution or are exposed to it,what effect will the hot solution have on the grease?  Where a waterproof grease might survive cold water, it might not so much in hot water, especially with cleaning chemicals.  Of course, in usual wheel bearing or othe ag/industrial applications, bearings get hot, and the grease survives, but in those uses, the bearings are not running submerged all the time; all they have to do is resist the moisture for a time, and when the heat up from running, they dry out.  Yeah, I know, I'm sort of rambling, but maybe you can follow my train of thought.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Good points.  This assembly is inside the cabinet. In the water, chemicals  & heat.  About 150* F

It seems that the synthetic grease is the one to use
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I use Lubriplate lower unit grease in boat trailer wheel bearings.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.