Battery selection

Started by WZ JUNK, February 24, 2016, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I need to buy a battery for my 1954 Chevy with a stock 305 TBI small block.  Since this is a new build, I have no size limitations.  The battery will be located in the truck.

I need your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks,

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rumrumm

I am partial to Odyssey. I just replaced mine last year, and it was ten years old. They offer a lot of different sizes.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

kb426

I'm using smaller batteries in the 32 and 51. I replaced the one in the 32 at 7 years just because I didn't want to take a chance on being stuck somewhere. I haven't used a group 27 or 24 for a lot of years. I also switched to bolt terminals. My stuff is hiding under something and the shorter height has been a plus. I was concerned about cranking amps but both trucks have started in zero weather without a problem. They both have pmg starters and the largest alternator from the factory that was available. I have very few battery failures anymore.
TEAM SMART

Carnut

I have Autozone Duralast group 27 batteries in my 67 Charger and 61 Chrysler because of good past history and ease of replacement for now.

I have redtop optima batteries in my 77 Pickup and my 40 Ford. They have lasted well for me.

Having 4 cars for 30 yrs or more you get used to replacing batteries.

I got my moneysworth out of my Pennys 'Lifetime' batteries but they eventually went away. My affair with sears Diehards' eventually ended as well.

Had an expensive odyssey version of a group 27 in my 67 Charger and got about 3yrs out of it

I do have hi amp alternators in all my rides and think they are worth it.

Also have Bat cutoff switches on all my rides. Went several years with battery savers and they just seemed to cause corrosion. Cutoff switches have worked great.

Also trying to figure out how to swedge an optima into my 02 PT Cruiser.

Beck

One of the things that is stressed by the Holley EFI techs is to use dual terminal batteries. This is meant for the guys running the latest in computer control. There is a lot of "noise" in an automotive system. Some of the aftermarket electronics can't handle that. Run the computer power direct from the battery, NOT from the motor end of the battery cables. Run the "clean" computer stuff from one set of terminals. Run the "dirty" stuff from the other set of terminals. Relays may be needed for complete power shut down.

For example, when a GM AC clutch disengages there is up to a 700 volt flyback voltage spike. The battery acts as a big capacitor and filters it out. This is a VERY short power spike. It is only seen on a oscilloscope. Newer GM cars have a special piece in the wiring to dump this spike. Older cars, and the street rod wiring kits don't have it!

Yes we have been doing it the other way for 30 years, but how long have we been running all the new computer controls?

Mac

The Optima red top that came in my `63 C10 was probably new from the PO just before I bought the truck, which makes it about 9 yrs old now. Still going strong and it's been run down and dead a few times and lived thru a period when the alternator was over charging, like 16+ volts. All in a northern PA border climate.

Hope I didn't just invite trouble.  :?
Who\'s yer Data?

donno21

Quote from: "Mac"The Optima red top that came in my `63 C10 was probably new from the PO just before I bought the truck, which makes it about 9 yrs old now. Still going strong and it's been run down and dead a few times and lived thru a period when the alternator was over charging, like 16+ volts. All in a northern PA border climate.

Hope I didn't just invite trouble.  :?
Wal_Mart

Arnold

I did/do a lot of night time/winter/salt/slush driving over the last 40+ years..huge # and variety of vehicles..some HD some junk :lol:
Batteries last me about 3-4 years. Cold/damp/windy/snow/ice..4 y/o battery ain't goin' into no winter here with me. Been there done that.
I think I have had every battery :lol: I just buy Walmart batteries now..the last one I bought there began inconsistent crank then no start..then it dead shorted..and the truck would not run..in about 2 weeks :lol: they just gave me new one..been in that van for 2yrs.
Winter driving :lol: Is the battery less than 4 years old? Check
                           Booster pac is where? and charged.
                           Booster cables and adapters.

sirstude

I will be facing that issue with the Olds one of these days.  

A friend of mine had one of the Shelby aluminum "continuation" Cobras and Shelby mounted 2 skinny 6 volt Odyssey's side by side behind the seats.  Don't know if it was a space deal, or they just liked the setup.  Just how it was done by Shelby a few years ago.  This was the complete car, less motor and trans that Shelby sold.  Already assembled, painted and wired.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

We all giggle about Wal-Mart .....My new on 5/27/2013 Wal-Mart battery got jealous of the truck engine I put in the Olds ....  :roll:
 Just exchanged it for a newun'....No questions asked .... :shock:
 For once , Ol' Ugly got lucky..... 8)

Oh...The stinky old truck engine runs GREAT........ :0-0  

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****