Ignition Switch on 57 Chevy

Started by BFS57, May 01, 2016, 01:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Had my car at a few different shops. Now Im finding a couple things to re work.
One is the Ignition switch. When I got the car back, the switch was installed upside down. The chevy key is supposed to go in right side up. I fixed that problem. Then, I find that when I put the key in the "lock" position and remove it, I can still turn the key tumbler and start the car, which shouldn't be.
Anyone here have any knowledge of this sort of problem. It was "hinted" that my tumbler may be at fault.
Thanks for your most valueable input, in advance!

Bruce

Rrumbler

Sounds to me like the pin springs in the lock may be broken or just worn out; it was installed upside down so that gravity would do the job of the worn out springs.

I might be wrong, though.  :wink:  :?:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

BFS57

Quote from: "Rrumbler"Sounds to me like the pin springs in the lock may be broken or just worn out; it was installed upside down so that gravity would do the job of the worn out springs.

I might be wrong, though.  :wink:  :?:

Hello;
Think it was mounted upside down cause the persons at the shop didn't know which way it should go! Believe me, I'm finding more things that need addressed! Wiring on the power amp needs help, rear 6x9 speakers installed wrong due to sub cabinet taking up too much space! I have to re-engineer this stuff!

Bruce

Rrumbler

You can find new tumblers (the locking part) online for from ten to twenty dollars, switch bodies are sort of pricey, though,at around fifty to eighty, and complete re-locking sets with door locks, glove box, trunk, and complete ignition for about seventy to one hundred.

Google "1957 Chevrolet ignition switch lock" and go shopping.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.