MSD timing

Started by Warren Derbidge, September 16, 2004, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Derbidge

:?: I've been helping a friend's son with a '70 Bronco project, but turns out I'm not much help.  His built 302 is new to me, my experience has been with SBC & BBC.  Only Ford experience is Model A & T four bangers.
It's in and running, with a good looking MSD electronic distributor, spark box and coil.  They set static timing, and I went over with two timing lights to show them how to set the timing with a light.  Ha. Ha. Ha.  The light when it works is unpredictably intermitant and shines-when it strobes- approximately 180 degrees wrong! Should we wire around the MSD box to use the light?  Looked through the literature he had and it says nothing. I'm stumped.  The engine runs good but setting the timing by ear is not- to my mind - a good thing on a fresh high compression engine.  How do we do this?

40 Chev

There was a post on April 10th with this same discussion, have a look.

Dirk35

Got a link to the post?

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Dirk35"Got a link to the post?

Maybe, he means this one?

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=527
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Mojo

I have a question about those distributors too. Mine has hairline cracks at the base, around all four screws where it meets the metal shaft housing. Is this a problem? I didn't think it's like a distributor cap, where it can throw the timing off... but is it possible that it is?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Tatertruck":?: I've been helping a friend's son with a '70 Bronco project, but turns out I'm not much help.  His built 302 is new to me, my experience has been with SBC & BBC.  Only Ford experience is Model A & T four bangers.
It's in and running, with a good looking MSD electronic distributor, spark box and coil.  They set static timing, and I went over with two timing lights to show them how to set the timing with a light.  Ha. Ha. Ha.  The light when it works is unpredictably intermitant and shines-when it strobes- approximately 180 degrees wrong! Should we wire around the MSD box to use the light?  Looked through the literature he had and it says nothing. I'm stumped.  The engine runs good but setting the timing by ear is not- to my mind - a good thing on a fresh high compression engine.  How do we do this?

Some good information here  http://www.msdignition.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php?s=9ffd6458b0954b214c1c50997e021353&act=SF&f=5  You can also call their tech line.   I have found that dial type(total advance) timming lights do not work well with MSD.  I finally set mine with a convention light and degreeing(sp) a mark to set total advance.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH