41 Ford Car front sway bar remove - replace?

Started by 416Ford, April 22, 2016, 04:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Ok guys, is there a way to repair or replace the stock sway bar on the front of a 41 Ford car without removing the backing plates and brakes?
This is on my buddy's car so I have not seen it. The sway bar is off the car now and he wants to put it back on someday but not during driving season. (He should have done it this winter)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

Dave ....If the car has a stock front sway bar & swivels , I think it is the same as on a '40 Ford ... There is no connection to the brakes or backing plates at all.. The bar mounts to the bottom of the frame rails with 4 bolts ... The sway bar ends connect to the top of the perch bolts with a "swivel " type of arrangement ..( I will try to post a photo) ..
The swivel slides over each end of a "bolt" for lack of a better term , that is in the top of the perch bolt ... It is then secured with regular nuts & washers ...

There should be no connection at all to the brakes , backing plates , etc ....

Lets see what I can find for photos .......

Bob ..
 :wink:

OK .. 'Cause I cant figure out how to make the neat diagram show up here for all to see , we will do this a different way ...

Go to this site & view the excellent diagramy thingie with photos & group discussion .... ..... :roll:  :lol:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-swaybar.311103/
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

The ends on his are junk and need to be replaced. That's his problem.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Charlie Chops 1940

Then he needs to go to Mac's and see what is available. Drakes also has some parts. It gets a little busy up around the front perch bolts so fabricating brackets and such can be daunting.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"The ends on his are junk and need to be replaced. That's his problem.

What Charlie said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...

Lookie here for a nifty photo.....

http://*.com/images/pdf/efr_catalog_flyer.pdf

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****