Need advise on cleaning undercarrage

Started by BFS57, April 16, 2016, 06:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Trying to sell my 32. Looked under the car to see muddy, greasy, Suspension and undercarage. I don't have a lift to really clean it up but what kind of stuff could I use to "help it along".
I do have a pressure washer, that dispenses soaps!
Should I use Simple Green, or something a bit more better!
Any Ideas as to detailing this car for sale, just been enjoying not "maintaining" What can I say, "GUILTY!!"
Bruce

kb426

I start with solvent by hand and proceed from there. I do this once a year and do not find it enjoyable. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I purposely built the Ugly Olds so low that you cant see under it .... :idea:   :roll:  :lol:

I figure that if someone looks under there & questions my work , they are in the proper position for an suitable answer ..... :shock: :lol:  :lol:

I just use the car wash pressure wand pointed some place under the bumper on the "Hi-Tech" Rustoleum paint :oops:

Sorry I cant help more .....

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
Think I'll buy a couple Rino Ramps to get the car up a bit. Before I moved here to Calif from Florida, I sold all my jacks and jack stands. I guess it's time to try ramps.
I know they are kind of scarey but this car is a light weight!

Bruce

WZ JUNK

I made this attachment for my pressure washer.  I can go around the car spraying soap under the vehicle and then go around again washing, without bending down to try and spray the bottom of the vehicle.  I bent a piece of stainless tubing and threaded both ends for the quick disconnects.  I welded a cross bar to the bend area to keep it pointed up as I drag it around the car.  I bought the quick disconnects at the local farm supply store.  Works for me.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

I would do everything I could at the local car wash. Everything you can get off there doesn't wind up in your driveway.

I believe a lot of your cleaning options depend on the quality of paint under the car. Some of the cleaning soaps/solvents are pretty harsh. You don't want to use something that is "better" than your paint.

I have commented here before about Citrol, an aerosol cleaner, that I have been using at work. It works well, but will really mess up dried spray bomb paint. I don't know what the outcome of quality paint would be.

I would work up the aggressiveness slowly. At sale time, a dirty undercarriage with paint is better than an undercarriage with messed up paint . The prospective new owner can spend the hours under it detailing it by hand.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I purposely built the Ugly Olds so low that you cant see under it .... :idea:   :roll:  :lol:

I figure that if someone looks under there & questions my work , they are in the proper position for an suitable answer ..... :shock: :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Ha!

I don't clean mine. Ew. But! If everything has paint on it mostly and its just gotten nasty...

Yes pressure wash. But then take wheels off and use a retired or dedicated microfiber wash mitt thingy. I think there may be some kinda wands too, for doing wheels. You know, with the big fuzzy shag. Run a bucket of hot soapy water and do the deed. It won't be so bad and actually wiping over things is so much more effective than trying to just spray everything away. Follow the car wash treatment with some general wipe-down with old towels or rags and you'll have it ready for rattle can touch ups sooner than you think.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

You're supposed to do "touch-up" work under there . :roll:  :?:

Oops ..... :oops:

If I dont clean up the grease & oil mess , I will be "preserving" the car for the next  builder ...Correct    :idea:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Next thing you're going to tell me that the oil is supposed to be changed ..:shock:

I know ...I'll do them at the same time  :idea:        NOT   :!:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

papastoyss

To clean the bottom side of my '40 coupe I park it crossways on the shop ramp , jack up the upper side & take wheels off & have at it w/the pressure washer. Swap sides & do it again. Simple Green works good for me. Do it every 2 years whether it needs it or not!!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!