How To Remove East Coast Crud??

Started by 40, February 29, 2016, 05:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just made a trip to pickup a 40 Coupe project in Vermont. The weather report was horrible so decided to take the open 22'roll back trailer instead of the 28' Box......thought the high winds predicted wouldn't be much fun pulling that large empty outhouse on wheels.Well,That was a really dumb move..... the weather didn't disappoint....the winds were 40 to 50 mph and we drove many hours in white-out conditions.It took an entire day to assemble the 40 to the point we could transport it and the storm was supposed to be over by the time we left for home.Someone forgot to tell mother nature.So......I now have a bare chassis and body that are covered in some of New York,Massachusetts,Ohio and Michigan's finest ice melt concoction! Don't know what they use.......it really works to keep the snow melted but it is like a 1/4" thick layer of concrete all over everything and the bare metal is already rusting.I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to something I might apply to the bare metal after I give it a good power washing to prevent it from rusting further......right now it's just flash rust under the road crud.Most of the componants on the chassis are polished stainless but everything else is /was raw steel.I'm not going to get to this project right away and certainly don't want to deal with severe pitting by the time I get to it.Look forward to hearing any/all suggestions.....Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

kb426

Wow! I don't have any advise but that sure is a rough way to start a project.  :cry:
TEAM SMART

Rochie

Put the car over a whirly-bird sprinkler on LOW and let it run.  Move the car not the sprinkler.  Then same applies to Bonneville salt

Charlie Chops 1940

Take it back through on a rainy day...
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Power wash it with steam. It evaporates so fast there is no time to rust.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

Gibb's penetrant works on bare metal and it can be painted later.

Arnold

Here they use some mix of salt,/brine..then they added beet juice to make it really stick :lol:
Sticks to the point of our major rustproofer saying that that stuff is really next to impossible to get out/off. They use some sort of special cleaner to break it down prior to rustproofing.

Me personally now with lots of stuff..Wash,spray lots of the areas with P.B Blaster..messy and removes pretty much everything in it's path..including any lubricant usually,I leave it on for a day or so..then spray it  with Seafoam..leave that for a day finally spraying it with Honey Goo..this piece ain't gonna rust anytime soon..the Honey Goo does not work all that well without  a good aggressive penetrating oil base.

I have been dealing with old and rusted stuff lately.
   :evil:

purplepickup

If you're so inclined to read about salt neutralizers like SaltAway and others, here's a very thorough and lengthy study conducted by the Ohio Department of transportation on the subject. They were looking for a way to reduce corrosion on their snow equipment caused by salt. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/SPR/Research/reportsandplans/Reports/2014/Materials/134718_FR.pdf  

Personally, I have used SaltAway on bicycles and motorcycles I've taken to Bonneville with really good results. I used it before going on the salt and after cleaning salt crust off when I got home. The only rust I found was in places I didn't spray.

If your project is as bad as it sounds I would steam clean or hot pressure wash as much of the crud off that I could get, since it's disassembled anyway, then spray a salt neutralizer on everything to neutralize any remaining residue.

Where rust has already formed I'd use a rust converter like Rust Mort.
George

Thanks for the suggestions......not sure where I'd find something to steam clean it with.....is this something like I might find at a car wash?I have a power washer .....as soon as I get rid of this nasty east coast cold that knocked me on my butt,I plan to get it washed and then try your suggestions as far as preventing it from flash rusting again.The powder coater will sand blast it before coating it but I want to preserve it until I have time to get it there.

George....That was an interesting read.....seemed like a good way to spend the taxpayers of Ohio's tax dollars......perhaps they should just find something else to coat the roadways with. Thanks for the help!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"