Alternator on a race motor?

Started by Beck, January 15, 2016, 09:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I thought I had a harmonic balancer drive mandrel figured out to drive my external oil pump. I was not planning to run an alternator. HR magazine had a half page article on alternators on race cars this month. Apparently my logic was wrong again. They recommend using an alternator on a race car.

In my EFI research I found Electromotive suggested a 16V battery for racing. It seems their ignition makes a hotter spark with more input voltage. The HR article says the MSD ignition systems are voltage sensitive also. They preform better with the 14V alternator output over the 12V battery voltage. I expect my Holley system will be the same.

If running an alternator I need to redesign the drive mandrel on the harmonic balancer to include a pulley for the alternator. The magazine article recommends overdriving the alternator on drag race applications. Tractor pulling has motor conditions similar to drag racing.

Weight is a major concern, which is why I was originally not planning to use the alternator. Because of the weight problem I will probably run a Denso unit. I see one listen online from a Kubota tractor for $66.

Any input or recommendations on my thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

We ran a 14v battery and an adjustable alternator on the dragweek car.....due to all the electical stuff running long periods.

On my drag car I run a 16v battery with no alternator....they charge quickly.

Jones racing products has a lot of mandrel and pulley options

Beck

Quote from: "Glen"We ran a 14v battery and an adjustable alternator on the dragweek car.....due to all the electical stuff running long periods.

On my drag car I run a 16v battery with no alternator....they charge quickly.

Jones racing products has a lot of mandrel and pulley options

I was looking at CV Products mandrel and pulleys. Are Jones better? I have never used anything like this.

The higher voltage batteries are pretty pricy aren't they? Braille is the brand I have seen.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Braille-B2015-No-Weight-Battery-425-CCA,37205.html?sku=1942015&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&catargetid=530009170000142984&cadevice=c&gclid=CJvImrOvrMoCFQMMaQodmuQCSw

Then I would need a higher voltage charger too, right?

Glen

I wouldn't say they are better, it's just hard sometimes to get the configuration exactly like you want it so I mentioned them.

Both options will require a special charger, they make a charger that does 14 and 16.

I use a  XS battery and charger.

If weight is important, there are some lightweight options but expect to pay double.

If it's drag only running without an alternator is fine.  I run a lot of stuff, intercooler pump, water pump, msd grid, holley efi, lights and fans.