My little 4 cylinder timing chain set

Started by Beck, January 08, 2016, 12:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

You can't believe everything you read on the 'net.

I heard/read somewhere that my little Mercruiser 3.7 used a combination of timing set parts. The story was it took a SBC cam sprocket, a Ford FE crank sprocket, and one of the two chains. After searching all day I cannot find anything that shares the cam sprocket. It isn't SBC.

The sprocket has 3 bolts and a locating pin. The bolts are 1/4-20. They are allen head and countersunk into the sprocket. The back of the sprocket is set up to use a thrust plate bolted to the block so the back side is different than the SBC also.

I was banking on the top sprocket being a SBC. I intended to use a bolt on 1/2" hex spud to drive a timing cover mounted external oil pump. The sprocket mounting bolt diameter is just slightly smaller in diameter than the SBC. I was considering drilling out the holes to match the SBC but there will be a little slop in the counterbore for allen heads. I would also have to take a small cut from the face of the sprocket. It is rough cast now.

What would be the most precise way to enlarge the holes? Using a drill they would stay the same bolt circle. I need it just a hair larger. Using a mill? My skills aren't good enough to get everything centered.

I really wanted to use an adjustable top sprocket. I guess that's out...

enjenjo

QuoteWhat would be the most precise way to enlarge the holes? Using a drill they would stay the same bolt circle. I need it just a hair larger. Using a mill? My skills aren't good enough to get everything centered.

The obvious answer is to find some one with better skills. :D  From looking at pictures, it appears that the sprocket pilots on a counterbore rather than the bolts. If that is the case, you could make a fixture that uses the pilot to hold the sprocket in position, and an end mill to relocate the hole.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

I might be missing something , but are OE parts not available to start with  :?:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

Tom, have you talked to Doug?  He had to go through all this because he changed the deck height of his block.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

Ugly Olds - There are aftermarket timing sets available. I would have liked to install a set with one of the sprockets adjustable. I also was looking for a way to drive the external oil pump drive direct from the cam.

Doug Lee did his with a belt drive from the cam. I will need to change my plans to a belt drive also. I am leaning toward a crank drive belt system currently.

John - I emailed Doug a few days ago, but he has not responded yet. I still want to make a trip there to see his car/motor.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Beck"Ugly Olds - There are aftermarket timing sets available. I would have liked to install a set with one of the sprockets adjustable. I also was looking for a way to drive the external oil pump drive direct from the cam.

Doug Lee did his with a belt drive from the cam. I will need to change my plans to a belt drive also. I am leaning toward a crank drive belt system currently.

John - I emailed Doug a few days ago, but he has not responded yet. I still want to make a trip there to see his car/motor.

Doug will be out a lot the next few days.  He has a booth at the "Chili Bowl" event a Tulsa.  http://www.chilibowl.com/schedule/   Last week they had the micro midgets running and he was down there some for that event.  1100 race cars in one building.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

The Chili Bowl is on my bucket list. I will have to do that soon. I didn't realize it was that time already.

wayne petty

rotary tables can be had cheep..  if you have a drill press..

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=%28table%29+AND+%28category:%22Rotary+Tables%22%29&rankBy=price+asc

if you have a vertical mill..  you might be able to use the table to locate them

this is just a thought of how to drill a round pattern on a flat object..

the rotary table might also be handy for making wheel bolt pattern redrill jigs..

Beck

I am abandoning the direct cam drive option. I am still considering using a belt drive from the cam. Doug used this method on his motor. The drive with the least fabrication is a belt drive from the crank like most use. There are available parts to make this a bolt. Any belt drive I use will require me to make mounting brackets for the remote oil pump.