strange tool !

Started by rooster, September 14, 2004, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I found this in moms attic, "looks like a hammer", " feels like a hammer", but is it a hammer? 18" long but has a fitting in the end of it for a extention! The tail of the hammer head is magnetic! There a clip of the side of it says "A R-Robertson. Boston, Mass" , , very odd! Anyone know what it is?
Denny

348tripower

Looks like a tack hammer to me.  :D

Quote from: "rooster"I found this in moms attic, "looks like a hammer", " feels like a hammer", but is it a hammer? 18" long but has a fitting in the end of it for a extention! The tail of the hammer head is magnetic! There a clip of the side of it says "A R-Robertson. Boston, Mass" , , very odd! Anyone know what it is?
Denny
Don Colliau

Ohio Blue Tip

It's a tack hammer, the magnet end is to pick up a tack and hold it so it can be set, then you finish with the hammer end. :shock:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rooster

The wooden handle looks orignal. Was it common for these hammers to be 18" long and provide for a extention to be screwed into a brass threded coller the end of the handle. It must be a tack hammer for Munchkins!

Here are some other hammers I belive a blacksmith hammers. Step Grandfather did some horseshoeing,Blacksmithing and wagon repair, even did wooden flat beds for model A's, for a local dealership!

enjenjo

Those are blacksmith tools, not actually hammers, they are designed to be hit with a hammer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Those are blacksmith tools, not actually hammers, they are designed to be hit with a hammer.
Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 and you're on the computor. Don't you have anthing better to do (either)? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Those are blacksmith tools, not actually hammers, they are designed to be hit with a hammer.
Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 and you're on the computor. Don't you have anthing better to do (either)? GPster

Lunchtime. Old habbits die hard  :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

My grandfather was a saddler.  

I have all his tools and ther's a numer of those hammers in his old toolbox, they came in various sizes from tiny to large.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "rooster"I found this in moms attic, "looks like a hammer", " feels like a hammer", but is it a hammer? 18" long but has a fitting in the end of it for a extention! The tail of the hammer head is magnetic! There a clip of the side of it says "A R-Robertson. Boston, Mass" , , very odd! Anyone know what it is?
Denny

As an old shop teacher, I say it is a tack hammer.  I never saw one with that long a handle but someone could have changed the handle to make it easier to drive a tack.   They would have to be better at hitting than I am as I would miss a tack completely while holding the end of the handle that long.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rooster

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Denny

As an old shop teacher, I say it is a tack hammer.  I never saw one with that long a handle but someone could have changed the handle to make it easier to drive a tack.   They would have to be better at hitting than I am as I would miss a tack completely while holding the end of the handle that long.

I just found it on the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW its selling for $715.00. Its a Bill an poster setting hammer. can be 63" long. Now all I have to do is find the three missing pieces.

http://www.mjdtools.com/tools/list_194/11879.htm

Denny :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sean

Quote from: "Carps"My grandfather was a saddler.  

I had a Grandfather who was a Saddler too. 7 year Apprenticeship back then (1860's Ireland). And I thought my 4 year Apprenticeship to the Sheetmetal Workers was long....

Crosley.In.AZ

I figured with the thread title " Strange tool" this was about tomslik
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

old32

Quote from: "Carps"My grandfather was a saddler.  

This probably accounts for his thick hide.
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted: