Hoisting a 350 TPI engine

Started by WZ JUNK, September 15, 2004, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

You would think that hooking a hoist to an engine would be a simple task.  I am installing a TPI Chevy engine in a 56 Plymouth.  I have spent most of the day trying to hook the engine to a hoist.  The engine is complete with all of accessories and I need to keep everything in place so that I can check clearances as I work.   I have tried a variety of hookups.    I am concerned with using the bolt holes in the front of the heads to hook the hoist.  Is this a problem?  If I use the threaded holes in the heads it will simplify things some.   I still have to fabricate some brackets for the chains and the extension will put even more loads on the bolts that are threaded into the aluminum heads.  There must be a way to do this.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

Build a nice stand for the engine, Engineer the proper oil pan clearence and that the engine is level and that it tilts back 4 degrees. The pick up the car and drop it on it. I'm sure that's the way that Mopar freaks say that thats the only way a Chevy could get in one. There, that made this break enjoyable for me. Maybe Crosley has an idea. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"You would think that hooking a hoist to an engine would be a simple task.  I am installing a TPI Chevy engine in a 56 Plymouth.  I have spent most of the day trying to hook the engine to a hoist.  The engine is complete with all of accessories and I need to keep everything in place so that I can check clearances as I work.   I have tried a variety of hookups.    I am concerned with using the bolt holes in the front of the heads to hook the hoist.  Is this a problem?  If I use the threaded holes in the heads it will simplify things some.   I still have to fabricate some brackets for the chains and the extension will put even more loads on the bolts that are threaded into the aluminum heads.  There must be a way to do this.

I have a H shaped rig with 4 straps on the ends that are long enough to pick up the bolts on the ends of the heads, and a loop welded into the center of the H to hook to the hoist. It works for me. It works with tunnel rams too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47wood

I lifted my LS1 w/4L60E (625 lbs) using the bolt holes in the aluminum heads with no problem.  The guys at Street and Performance told me thats what they do.  I do use one of those leveling devices to balance the load so the trans isn't too low.  It's at least a 2 man job and I like 3.   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "47wood"I lifted my LS1 w/4L60E (625 lbs) using the bolt holes in the aluminum heads with no problem.  The guys at Street and Performance told me thats what they do.  I do use one of those leveling devices to balance the load so the trans isn't too low.  It's at least a 2 man job and I like 3.   :wink:

I really wanted someone to tell me that it was okay to use those bolt holes in the front/rear of the heads.  That will make it a lot easier.  I use one of those tilting hookups.  I took the handle off mine and I use my impact to run the threaded adjuster in and out.  Lots faster.  Faster is better, right.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Faster is better, right.

---------------------------------

Maybe, ... but according to my wife, too fast is NOT good! :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

phat46

[

I picked up my 429 Ford using only two of those bolt holes...I ferget what that big anchor weighs, but it is a LOT!

sirstude

I lifted my 502 with 5 speed using one of those levelers and the threaded botl holes in the front of my aluminum heade.  I know that big block is a LOT heavier than what you are doing.  I do use the right length bolts so that the chain is sandwiched tight to heads so the bolt is in shear, not just trying to bend.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Had the motor in and out once today.  It had to come out for a little crossmember triming where the air conditioner was touching.   The compressor mounts underneath on the right side of the engine.  Seems to be going good overall.  I mounted the hoist using everyones recomendations and it seems to work well.  I guess I should take a picture.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

47wood

You're pretty sharp if you only have to take it in and out once!  It usually takes me 2 or 3 times to get it right.  When you think it's perfect there always seems to be a little "triming" to do.   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!