Little tractor update

Started by Beck, July 07, 2015, 09:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

You might have to modify the carb to survive pulling as well. The bouncing would play havoc on float level as well as splash out of bowl vents. I have seen float bowls filled with open cell foam to stop fuel slosh with a return from bowl to tank to maintain fuel level but that was for circle track.

enjenjo

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Beck"I'm going to work on the drive shaft today. As you can see in the photos it will be SHORT, 5 1/4" center to center of the universal joints.

Explorers have drive shafts that have a splined slip section in them. One of the drive shaft yolks has the female part of the spline built in. I am chucking the splined section in the lathe. From the U-joint end am boring a 1.5" hole into it. This will then be cut off at a factory shoulder, about 1.5 inches deep. A 350 turbo transmission output yolk is 1.5" in diameter where it enters the transmission. I am taking one of these, cutting it to length, and inserting it into the machined Explorer part and welding them together at the right length. This will give me a small diameter, heavy wall, short shaft with a Ford joint on one end and a Chevy joint on the other.

I just did the same thing for a trans I am building. I machined down a yoke for a 31 Chevy closed drive shaft to 1.4", and bored out a turbo 350 yoke to a .001 interference fit. I heated the yoke, chilled the spline, and pushed them together with a press. I am having a buddy weld it together, he is better with TIG that I am, and has the equipment  to heat treat it after welding.

I have my yoke done. It came out nice.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, that's the way it ought to be. The temptation to say"the yokes on you" is very strong. :) What do people do without a shop full of equipment????
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, that's the way it ought to be. The temptation to say"the yokes on you" is very strong. :)
QuoteWhat do people do without a shop full of equipment????

Simple ....We contact Frank on a good day & say PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE... :lol:  :idea:  8)

Bob ....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
   Simple ....We contact Frank on a good day & say PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE... :lol:  :idea:  8)

Bob ....  :wink:

I wish I lived closer to Frank. This project would be done already.

If you look in the background of Franks photo you will find important stuff (trans gears) that I don't know how to put together.

PLEEEEEEEEEASE Frank ??

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "unklian"Call Kaase for recommendation on a cyl head.
Word around is that Kaase built some of these Mercruiser motors to experiment with his then under construction cylinder heads. With these motors he only had to make one head to test with.

I called Kaase's shop. Some very uninterested woman answered, who said NO they had never done any and didn't seem interested in letting me talk to anyone else. I would love to talk to someone there who would make an honest recommendation.

Jon Kaase himself posts on the Speedtalk.com engine forums.
Maybe try him there.