Front end alignment

Started by 348tripower, June 21, 2015, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

On this 1950 Plymouth wagon the specs for camber are 0 to 3/4 degree positive. I am looking at this and it looks like a lot to me and I can't get anything less than 3/4 to 1 degree. So far. This is with the Fatman dropped uprights. Any ideas?
Don Colliau

chris spokes

he who has the most toys wins

enjenjo

I expect this has been lowered. At this point, you can lengthen the upper are, or shorten the lower arm to get back into the adjustment range. 1 degree will not hurt the tires, but it does look strange.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"I expect this has been lowered. At this point, you can lengthen the upper are, or shorten the lower arm to get back into the adjustment range. 1 degree will not hurt the tires, but it does look strange.
It looks out of sorts with out the front sheet metal on it. I have cut the springs one inch shorter. I am still working on setting this up.
Thanks
Don
Don Colliau

416Ford

Don, I didn't look back at the pictures on your truck but we did cut the lowers on my car if you are running stock lower control arms. If you are running aftermarket arms you can usually by them that are 5/8" narrower.  Good luck.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

348tripower

After getting a good camber / caster gauge I found the camber to be plus 3 degrees.  I set the car on the blocks level and full weight on the suspension and  I cut the mounts from the top the the frame and moved them in towards the center of the car 9/16 of an inch and welded them back together. Zero on the eccentric adjustment equals zero degrees camber. Now I can adjust one degree positive or negative. On to the next hurdle. :D
Don Colliau

kb426

Don, what did you get for the gauge? Glad you're making progress. :)
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Quote from: "kb426"Don, what did you get for the gauge? Glad you're making progress. :)
This is the one I bought.
Caster / Camber Gauge w/ Magnetic Adapter Part #: 78260
$110.00 on Amazon.com
Don Colliau