Target 550

Started by Dusty, June 10, 2015, 06:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

I got a call from Marlo Treit yesterday, and he says the car is ready for the run in July, if the salt is dry.  He has timed both of the blowers that created harmonics, that almost destroyed the car on the last run.  For those that don't know Marlo, he has set many records on the Salt Flats, and is going for the recip' driven streamliner record.  He thinks the car is now capable of running 550 mph.  I suppose we will see next month.  The class he is running in runs in July not August.  If you are interested, go to Google and type in Target550.  Or use this URL   http://www.target550.com  The web site has a lot of info on the car, and some of Marlo's records.
The car is quite a piece of machinery.  One of the neatest things about the car, is that it has an aluminum, skin body, but it is not painted.  It is covered in vinyl.  If you click on the construction tab, you will see the unique way they cut the vinyl, using a dental floss type of string, instead of a knife that would cause a place for stress cracks.
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

kb426

I sold him a set of pistons for a small hemi combination back in the early 80's. He was a character to talk to. It's fascinating to watch how long people will pursue the salt. I was only there once in 1992. It rained the first day and messed things up but gave racers time to talk. I spent an afternoon with Don Vesco  while working on his streamliner. Most of the racers had great stories of their involvement and how they got there.
TEAM SMART

Dusty

I sold Marlo a '57 650 Triumph, that I used to street race back in the early '60's.  I worked for Dwain Taylor in Albany, GA, the owner of T&M Triumph.  Marlo really is a character.  He is just one of those guy's that has racing in his blood.  The records that he has set is nothing to sneeze at.  A colorful character to be sure.....
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Crosley.In.AZ

Several long term builds  of fast cars are coming out , should be fun to watch
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)