water thermost

Started by vso737, May 18, 2015, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

OPINION NEEDED-

¿What is the BEST water thermostat available for a SBC?
I have a 1968 327 CI motor that is pretty tired but still good.

I can NOT believe I will now replace the THERMOSTAT for the SECOND time in less than 205 miles.

When it works.........There is NO issue.  The event coordinators had me and a couple of other cars creeping along for approx. one hour before they finally figured out where to park us at yesterday's Santa Barbara State Street car show.  My gauge NEVER went above 180°.........and it shouldn't with a new electric fan; aluminum radiator/ shroud; plus and extra transmission cooler besides the radiator cooler and also an oil cooler and with NO hood.

Could it be possible to get two bad thermostats?????

¿ Has anyone ever used a "brass high-flo thermostat"?  If so, please comment.

Thank you in advance.

LG,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

416Ford

You can get a bad thermostat. When you take this one out you can test it when you test the new one. If you now have trust issues with the brand you have, spend the extra money.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

vso737

Quote from: "416Ford"You can get a bad thermostat. When you take this one out you can test it when you test the new one. If you now have trust issues with the brand you have, spend the extra money.

Well, both of them WORKED OK for a very short while.

The one I now have is a "MR GASKET 180°" which is the HIGHER performance one at around $20 US. (the EXTRA money one)   LOL
The first one was one step above standard at the price of apprx. $7 US.

That's what is upsetting about these items, they can work fine for days and then go CAPUT for a while and work again.

The GOOD thing is that they are guaranteed for a year.  I guess I will have to save my receipt on the next one.

Thanks for the input...............
LG,
Mike

enjenjo

I like this style  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16401/overview/   It uses a different type of valve than most thermostats, and they seldom fail. It's the type used on large diesel and industrial engines.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

vso737

Quote from: "enjenjo"I like this style  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16401/overview/   It uses a different type of valve than most thermostats, and they seldom fail. It's the type used on large diesel and industrial engines.

I was looking for this thermostat.  A Marine Vendor had it but I did not want to send for it at the time ...........Changed my mind.

I just ordered it via SUMMIT RACING as you suggested.

Thank you very much..........

LG,
Mike