Fuel Smell

Started by midnight sun, May 15, 2015, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Am getting a fuel smell while cruising down the road only when the windows are open.  Have checked all lines, carb, filter,  tank fittings etc. No leaks anywhere. Do get some gas smell when it has been sitting in the garage too.  Put a spacer under the Edelbrock 600 and that helped some but still get it a little.  I have my vent line coming up out of the tank and it goes higher than the filler.  I have a loop in it and then it exits down by the left rear fender.

Any ideas?  

Thanks
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

enjenjo

What are you using for air cleaners?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

midnight sun

Quote from: "enjenjo"What are you using for air cleaners?

K&N

midnight sun

Quote from: "midnight sun"
Quote from: "enjenjo"What are you using for air cleaners?

K&N

I assume you meant carb air cleaner/filter???

enjenjo

Yes I did. My thought was the carburetor vent. No sign of fuel leaks, correct? Are you using a carb spacer?

midnight sun

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes I did. My thought was the carburetor vent. No sign of fuel leaks, correct? Are you using a carb spacer?

Yeah no fuel leaks and yes I do have a 1" phenolic carb spacer.   The air cleaner base does have a hose type bib on the underside but I have never hooked a hose up to it to vent it anywhere.  It just vents into the engine compartment.  Could that be part of the problem??

416Ford

Is the tank building up pressure when its warm? Just wondering if the spiders built a nest in the vent hose over the winter.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

midnight sun

Quote from: "416Ford"Is the tank building up pressure when its warm? Just wondering if the spiders built a nest in the vent hose over the winter.

Not sure but thats a good point.  Think I will at least replace the vent hose with a new one.

enjenjo

Is there a return fuel line on your car?

midnight sun

Quote from: "enjenjo"Is there a return fuel line on your car?

No return line.  The manual fuel pump is still functional although it is overidden by  an electric one.  Had to install the electric one due to vapor lock.

Just have the vent line and a drain line in the filler neck in case of overflow when filling.

34ford

I had a similar problem with the coupe smelling gassy after pulling in the garage and letting sit overnight. I also have an electric fuel pump. What I did was to put an switch inline to shut off the fuel pump. When I'm a couple of blocks from home I turn off the switch.  By the time I'm backing into the garage the carb is almost out of fuel so there is nothing in the bowls to boil and vent out once parked. I also put a monetary switch on the fuel pump line so I can prime the carb before starting. The reason for the switch is there's  a sensor on the oil line pressure that interrupts power to the fuel pump when there's no oil pressure in case of an accident and the motor stops the fuel pump doesn't keep running. Once the oil pressure is reached it closes and the fuel pump runs. I also have a vent line on the tank that goes into a charcoal canister I got at the junk yard. So the whole system works as a thief deterrent system also.  Clear as mud, right?