Late model crash resistance

Started by Beck, April 14, 2015, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

My daughter bumped into a Lexus at a drive through. My daughter drives a Chevy Cruze. The car she bumped was a 2012 Lexus SUV. The Cruze was undamaged. The repair bill on the Lexus is $1144.

unklian

I think minimum charge is $1000 these days.

rumrumm

That is the cost to repair a cracked or broken bumper. It doesn't take much to cause a grand worth of repair. Someone backed into my wife's Impala and put a small dent in the rear door. They don't pound out dents anymore. New door skin and match paint--$1600.00!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

Its fairly unheard-of to touch a Lexus and only have a one in front of the comma, behind the dollar sign! Must have been very light contact. A wrinkle in a bumper cover on a 99 Pontiac is still worth over $600 so yep. Not that it would cost that much to fix it in the driveway but in a shop with a warranty thats minimal. Paint is high and lots of those SUV have 3 stage colors.

Bonus tip- I know an older lady who recently crashed a '14 Cruze. She is a small-ish build person and the airbag broke eight ribs plus nose. Advise the daughter if not already aware, that ya gotta sit as far back from the airbag as possible at all times, and keep those hands on the lower half of the steering wheel.
Matt

Beck

The damage on the Lexus was caused by the Cruise's license plate bolts. It hit square and put 2 dimples in the cover.
Idirvejunk, yes it was 3 stage white.
It also has sensors in the cover.
I double checked the Cruise tonight... No damage at all.

Now the big question is... Is it cheaper in the long run for me to pay $1144 cash out of my pocket or turn it into the insurance company and have them raise my rates?   Anything over $750 counts as a claim.

idrivejunk

Good question for your agent. I think they would be grateful that you are pondering over whether to make a claim or not, and should give you a straight answer. Just don't forget to figure in the deductible as you noodle over the equation before asking.

I have to wonder if rates are different in states that require front tags. The great big screws sure can make a mess out of a bumper, and the goofy brackets make the car that much longer.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Since I am on the freeways  during commute times, that is where I see the most crashes.

Late model cars when they rear end another,  the scene looks like the car threw up on the ground. There are plastic bits everywhere, bumper cover lays on the ground.  Sure there is usually liquid too.... but the dang broken plastic  chunks are scattered.

Back 3 months ago , I saw a Mini Cooper S  that tried to push a stopped F-150 truck. It was an ugly sight.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

What everyone needs to remember.......   New cars are considered "expendable" by the insurance companies ....  They are designed to crush & break apart to absorb the collision energy rather than transmit it to the occupants ... They're thinking is that damaged cars are in-expensive to repair & resolve ... Medical claims , not soo much so ..... :roll:

While $1150.00 seems like a lot to us , ( And it IS !!),  to an insurance company that would almost be a "nuisance" claim...  Some people & almost all small company's have deductibles higher than that ....

At least that's what we were taught .... :?

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

We turned it in to the ins co. We will have to see what the rate does next year. Since it was the other car we did not have to pay a deductible.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"Since I am on the freeways  during commute times, that is where I see the most crashes.

Late model cars when they rear end another,  the scene looks like the car threw up on the ground. There are plastic bits everywhere, bumper cover lays on the ground.  Sure there is usually liquid too.... but the dang broken plastic  chunks are scattered.

Back 3 months ago , I saw a Mini Cooper S  that tried to push a stopped F-150 truck. It was an ugly sight.
I used to go to the insurance salvage pool auction every week, most of the MiniCoopers there had the engine shoved back into the radio!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "Crosley"Since I am on the freeways  during commute times, that is where I see the most crashes.

QuoteBack 3 months ago , I saw a Mini Cooper S  that tried to push a stopped F-150 truck. It was an ugly sight.
I used to go to the insurance salvage pool auction every week, most of the MiniCoopers there had the engine shoved back into the radio!!!

Does that make them easier to "tune"  :?:  :shock:  :roll:

Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****