230ci chev 6, what transmission?

Started by rog, February 22, 2015, 02:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rog

Hi all, been awhile since I was here last.. Lots have happened, including buying a house  :D . Lots of projects moved on, but recently I came across a chev 6 cylinder engine at a great price. I was told it was from an early 60's c10 pickup, it has a three speed manual transmission behind it at the moment..
I would like to fit an automatic transmission to it, a reliable source has said that a t350 etc will fit. I have been offered a mechanical 4sd t700 at a good price, & I am wondering what else I would need to make it work (torque convertor, drive plate etc).  The whole bundle will be for either a bucket type car, or rpu. Any help is appreciated, cheers  :D

enjenjo

If it indeed is a 230, then any parts needed can interchange with V8 parts. The only thing I can see as a problem is getting the TV cable hooked to the carburetor with the correct geometry.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

i would  look at length too.  700r4 trans is longer than a 6 inch tail T-350 trans

the low first gear in a 700r4 works well with the inline.  I had a 69 chevy c-10 with a 250 inline and 700.  3.73 rear gears.  WOrked well.  Tire smoker in 1st gear.  Over drive on freeway
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rog

Thankyou for the replies, have been offered a t350 as well, certainly will work, but which would be better? New to Chev, although had an Australian gm product a few years back, with a t400 in it.

32 Chevy

A 200r4 works well too. The case is a lot smaller than a 700r4.

parklane

Quote from: "32 Chevy"A 200r4 works well too. The case is a lot smaller than a 700r4.

Ya, same length as a 350
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

rog

Haven't heard of them ( not unusual as I am usually a ford guy, & on the other side of the world, lol) what did they come out in?