A story

Started by enjenjo, October 16, 2014, 09:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Many years ago a young fellow of 13 years and his grandfather came to see me. He wanted to build a "roadster". and they had found a 1937 Plymouth pickup to build it from. After discussing what a roadster was, and a drawing of what he wanted to build, we got started. It would be a fenderless highboy pickup, with weed burners, and a V8.

We used the 37 chassis, repairing it as necessary, bobbing it at both ends, then installed a 40 Ford front axle with split bones about 12" forward from stock, and a 10 bolt rear about 6" forward to get the look he wanted. It was not my cup of tea, but he liked it.

A guy down the road built a 350 Chevy for it, and another guy built a 350 turbo for it. He built an Oak bed for it in high school shop, a nice job.

Now this young man's parents were divorced. His father would have nothing to do with him, and his mother was living with a younger boy friend who did not want the kid around, so he lived with his grand parents. He was the nicest guy though. He graduated high school, got a job, and bought a Hurst Olds Cutlass as a daily, taking very good care of it. He got married, bought a very nice house, had two kids of his own that he doted on. He worked two jobs to support his family. He traded the Olds for a Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo, and eventually traded that for a Jeff Gordon Corvette. All this time he kept the Plymouth truck, working on it when he could.

About nine years ago he asked me if it was possible to install the fenders on the truck. I told him we could, but since everything had been moved it would take a lot of work. He got a set of glass fenders and running boards, and we cut them up and reshaped them to fit. Strange as it sounds, a truck that I never really liked, looked pretty good once the fenders was on it. The only time I know of him driving it was to bring it over here to do the fenders.

He passed away sunday at the age of 41
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Nice story with a downer ending. That's too bad.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

Such is life sometimes. I hope the kids have loving grandparents on their mother's side. I also hope if his grandfather is still alive  that the great grand kids can give him some comfort. GPster

phat46

Sad story, the guy had kind of a rough life, but I bet he thought the world of you Frank, one of the few good people in his life.

kb426

Another sad story. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for who I am and how my life has been. My sympathies to all who knew him.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Sorry to hear of your loss . Looks like the guy did ok despite a tough childhood situation . People who grow up that way usually hold those who helped them in high regard. Enjenjo I am pretty sure you would be one of those he would have thought highly of. Life is not always fair but you have to think that at least his kids had the benefit of having a committed and caring father even if it was cut short. Their pain will eventually go away but their sense of importance and self worth gained from having a loving father should last a lifetime.

Okiedokie

I can't really add to what has been said. Thanks for sharing the story and reminding us all to be thankful for each day. Your kindness reminds us all to be so.

enjenjo

His son came over to see me, he wants some help finishing the car in memory of his dad.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

It sounds like that boy had a caring grandpa and they definitely came to the right person to help their dream come true.  It's wonderful that his son has the interest to follow up with the project.  He came to the right person too.  Good on you Frank.

As others have said, this is a good reminder to not take life for granted and be thankful.
George

39deluxe

That's way too young to pass away. It's nice that the son wants to carry on the legacy.

Tom