How clean and what's a good way?

Started by GPster, October 14, 2014, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I've spent time straightening out the wiring harness { '87 GMC S15) for the Jeepster. I've got the hole through the firewall for the engine compartment terminal block to plug into the under dash fuse terminal. Before I plug the two terminal connections together they certainly water-proofed and terminal greased together. This must be factory as they were just taken apart from a running truck and stored in a box inside. Is all this mess sprayed on after installation or is some of it something to improve the conductivity of the terminals and put on before they are plugged together? I've never worked on any fuel injection ( TBI ) wiring before this or anything so new that the wires didn't just go through a big hole in the fire wall. I'm smart enough to understand the need for well grounded connections that Wayne reminds us about but this mess certainly doesn't look conducive to the  proper flow of electrons. What's a good way to clean this up and a proper way to re-seal it. GPster

wayne petty

i almost always use some staylube white lithium grease between the two halves in the connector cavities..

lubriplate white lithium also works for this..

i DON'T use silicone dielectric compound for this.. as that is actually a thermal transfer compound but is also used for sealing in extreme high voltages..  but sealing in is the word.  if it gets on the terminals instead of the rubber or silicone seals or boots it will insulate and cause issues in the high voltage..

here.. have a new 6 part version of my infamous voltage drop test..

http://i.imgur.com/WMDprhm.jpg

its only infamous to people who have not tried it or have not realized that it can save hours and thousands of dollars in unneeded parts..

GPster

I looked in my stuck (junk) and found my can of Lubriplate  and I looked at it and it wasn't white. I remember getting it when I cleaned out my             father-in-law's garage years ago (early '70s). It was open when I got it and I don't know if it was ever white. Doesn't say anything on the can about use around electric connections (I don't think it's before electricity) so I guess I'll go get one of the selected items.You're suggesting this as something to seal between the contacts,right? Do you suggest anything on the contacts to further clean them up from any residue? I used some of that spray brake parts cleaner and it cleaned up things pretty well but it's kind of hard to check the female side of the connections. Once it put this connection together at the firewall it's just an added reason why things don't work. I'd like to lessen that condition asI'm already nearly overwhelmed. GPster

idrivejunk

If I were at work (body shop) needing to clean up a bulkhead connector full of grease ... I might dunk it for a short time (less than a minute or two, and swish / brush it around) in paint prep degreaser. Wax and grease remover, not thinner or reducer. Then hit it with compressed air. Repeat until clean and dry. Release and clean any problem terminals then reinstall them in the connector body. Then if I wanted to "put it back like it was" I'd probably reach for whats commonly called "bulb grease" like whats found in OE tail lamp sockets. Right or wrong? Not sure but thats how I'd clean the mess up quick.
Matt

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.