Old Miller arc welder value?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 27, 2014, 03:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought this welder new when I was about 20 yrs old.

Miller 180 variable amp welder.  Straight AC voltage....  Last I fired it up, was 5 - 7 yrs ago. I would need to test again

Do these old arc welders have much value?

I'm clearing out stuff again.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

$25 to $50 on Craig's list AC DC a bit more.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I sold mine this spring. I bought it in 74 and it was a Monkey wards unit. The guy who bought it drove about 50 mi one way. Here's the way the ad read.

arc welder - $200 (muskegon)

Older 295 amp arc welder. I bought it new it works good I just don't need it anymore. Price includes the rod shown, chip hammer and helmet. You won't need anything more but a place to plug it in and start welding
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Arc welders out here on craigs list are in the 150 - 200 dollar range for basic old Lincoln tombstone style welders.

Very few Miller arc welders and none like this one.

Guess I will keep it a while longer.  I've not had great luck on Craigs list.  Seems I attract the nutz type people
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"Guess I will keep it a while longer.  I've not had great luck on Craigs list.  Seems I attract the nutz type people

they recognize their own kind?
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

I guess I have not looked at welders in a while. I went on Toledo Craiglist and the cheapest one there was $65 and junk. Most were in the $100 to $150 range
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Is it possible that it's worth more as scrap?

I'm assuming there's lots of copper in those old welders.

later jim

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Crosley"Guess I will keep it a while longer.  I've not had great luck on Craigs list.  Seems I attract the nutz type people

I agree.  Its easy for me to remember their names, they all are named Jim
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "river1"

I agree.  Its easy for me to remember their names, they all are named Jim

phat46

I have an old Miller buzzbox too, not sure how many amps. I bought it from the die shop I used to work at when they switched to all migs. They were taking bids on all the old arc welders and I had high bid at $37.52. They gave me my choice and I took the one I had used for years because the old plant manager had built a control box for it that allowed it to have a trigger button on the stinger so you could get very close to the steel rule die before striking an arc,much like a mig. I hate to think how many joints on the dies I welded with that thing.  :lol: