Bolt adapter wedge thingies .....

Started by UGLY OLDS, September 10, 2014, 10:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Hey guys ...Need some help .. Anybody know where to get the small  "wedge style bolt adapters" , ( obviously I don't know the proper name ) , that need to be used when an early small block Chevy intake is mounted on 87-94 TBI heads??  

The center 2 bolts on each head are drilled at a different angle ..I know the intake bolt holes can be slotted .. The issue is getting the bolt heads to contact the manifold for a full 360*..  

Aluminum or iron ...I ain't picky ....

Thanks ...

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

this is faster to grind your own to fit..

the other bolts are 90 degrees to the intake face.. the center two are not..

you might want to perform some creative measurements including gasket thickness when setting up. so you can create a jig for back drilling the  intake center bolts. then you might be able to get really creative and reverse spot face them..  using the jig as a guide... face them how.. you are working in aluminum.. perhaps some creative grinding on the face of a 3/8 -16 nut.. so you can double nut it on the end of the bolt with the head cut off.. so you can mill the back side.

if you have the TBI intake..  you can use that to get better measurements off.. using some kind of tape wrapped around the bolts to center them for a measurement..

tbi ports are usually quite restrictive..

vortec heads are far superior.. and there are jigs available sometimes at local head rebuilders to drill conventional bolt patterns into the head intake surface..

Mac

I bent pieces of rod (about 3/16) into half circles and welded these to the underside of thick washers. I made a reference mark on the outboard edge to show where the homemade wedge washer had to sit when I torqued it down.

Of course I'm dealing with carb/induction problems that may be a vacuum leak now.  :oops:
Who\'s yer Data?

Digger

Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=tnvicl

The self aligning washers look like the hot set up IMO
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

tomslik

you could make your own....go snag a couple of rear end housing pinion angle shims ( in the appropriate angle) and punch a 3/8 hole in it ;)
or even better, use a small hole saw and use a 3/8 step drill bit ( the ones that use a 1/4" drill) and do it all in one step
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list