What fuel pressure needed

Started by butch27, August 28, 2014, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

I'm running an Edelbrock 600 on a mild Ford 302" I have a Jeg's mechanical fuel pump that puts out up to 8 psi. The carb just won't lean out and I think 8 lbs. may be too much. Any ideas as to what pressure this carb likes?

34ford

From the manual..  here's the manual link:  http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/dl/carb-owners-manual.pdf

Fuel Pumps and Pressure: Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi.
With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be
required. Note that some later model vehicles (the 5.0L Ford is one example) have mechanical pumps that will give more than 6.0 psi at idle. The vehicle will perform well, but may be
prone to stalls on quick turns and stops with the clutch disengaged. If this problem occurs, check the fuel pressure. If it is more than 6.0 psi at IDLE, it should be reduced through the use
of a regulator, such as Edelbrock #8190, or by creating a restricted by-pass bleed to the fuel return line. Edelbrock Street Fuel Pumps are highly recommended for all Edelbrock Performer
Series carburetor installations.
Always use a filter, such as Edelbrock

lofat46

I learned about three years ago when my carb acted up that I was running too much pressure and blew out the needle an seat.  I was running 6-7 pounds and found out that an Edlebrock carb should not have more than 4 to 41/2 psi.  Since setting my regulator at 4 psi I have not had a problem with the carb on my 350 Chevy.

butch27

I have not found any thing in the Edelbrock manual that even mentions this problem. I'm about ready for another brand.!!

34ford

The text in my post above is copied from the  Edelbrock manual. Did you read it? You asked about what the fuel pressure should be.. It says
QuoteFuel Pumps and Pressure: Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi.

So 8psi should be way to much.

I have a carter electric fuel pump on mine and it says it has 4-5 psi.