Drag Week 2014

Started by sirstude, September 13, 2014, 09:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Don't know if anyone has been keeping up with this, but Larson turned a 6.16 today in a truck that he drove almost 1200 miles this week.  He had problems on Thursday and only ran a 20 so did not win the week.  Lost an alternator belt and could not replace it.  Drove Thursday with a Honda generator in the back running a battery charger to get to the next stop.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I remember when the bump spot for top fuel was 5.87 at indy.That is unreal performance for a street driven vehicle

Crosley.In.AZ

Jeff Lutz said in an interview that he felt the S10 of Larry Larsons, has a 5 sec run in it.

Larry said he wanted 6.20s... On the 6.16 pass the chutes were out early. Mayb a 5 sec run in that truck.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

WZ JUNK

I spent to much time watching the action this week instead of working but it was fun.  Hooley has mentioned that he wants to build a vehicle and run drag week next year.  I know that he was at Tulsa both times looking at everything and asking questions.  Another side note, the racers had to make a mandatory stop in Hooley's home town of Chelsea, OK, for a photo and a check in stop.

It looks like I could compete in the hot rod class.  It would be fun, but I do not think I have the energy to do it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I spent to much time watching the action this week instead of working but it was fun.  Hooley has mentioned that he wants to build a vehicle and run drag week next year.  I know that he was at Tulsa both times looking at everything and asking questions.  Another side note, the racers had to make a mandatory stop in Hooley's home town of Chelsea, OK, for a photo and a check in stop.

It looks like I could compete in the hot rod class.  It would be fun, but I do not think I have the energy to do it.

John

Come on John... dont get old on us.   :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Lot of slower cars do not get the attention the big dogs do. I understand that.

I think there was even a VW Thing competing in the daily driver class.  I like seeing the orphan brands in there.  Very kool.

Making the vehicle able to compete and finish the whole program seems simple... lol
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I spent to much time watching the action this week instead of working but it was fun.  Hooley has mentioned that he wants to build a vehicle and run drag week next year.  I know that he was at Tulsa both times looking at everything and asking questions.  Another side note, the racers had to make a mandatory stop in Hooley's home town of Chelsea, OK, for a photo and a check in stop.

John

John,

As long as your truck is reliable I don't think it would be too energy demanding. Don't go into it thinking you are going to "win" your class. Go to have some fun. Do the 1 run and done routine. Make your pass, get the driving directions, and move on. If you run a "class" vehicle and not "daily driver" you get to run earlier in the day, allowing you to hit the road earlier. Get to the next motel, take a nap, and get up later to watch the action in the parking lot.
If you have a high maintenance vehicle it could be a very long week.

This event has been added to my bucket list. John, you already have the truck. I would have to build or buy something. I like the hot rod and gasser classes, but any would due. Unlike the land speed cars, where I would want a record, I wouldn't worry about winning my class at drag week. Fun - fun -fun.

WZ JUNK

I just reviewed the rules and the results.

I was not entered and therefore there are several ifs here but my truck would be legal, just the way I drive it everyday.  According to the way it runs on the drag strip in this configuration, it would have placed 3rd in the hot rod class in this years drag week.  With a little bit of work it could have given the guy a run for 2nd place.  There is no way it could have won this class.  This is the way my truck has run as a daily driver and on the drag strip for the last 12 years.  I usually run it on the strip at least 3 times a year and I drive it locally and on some longer trips comparable to a drag week daily drive.  So I think it is doable.  I will see how my health improves over the next few months and we will see what strips they will use next year.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH