1940 Chev windshied wipers

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, July 31, 2014, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Thats it Im sick of the Newport conversion kit that dont work with the original transmissions. Does anybody know of a modern 1/2" knurl conversion from another vehicle or kit that will work?

phat rat

I don't know about your Chevy but the Newport in my Ford have worked fine since 97. But I also rarely use them as I always RainX my windshield
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I have done several Newport conversions on 39  and 40 Chevys using the original transmissions. Tell me your problem, and I may have a solution
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev Coupe

They dont seem to have any power to wipe. The drivers side goes up and dont come down, and the pass side just goes up and then stops and stays there when turned off.

enjenjo

Are the wiper transmissions in good shape? Any binding in the towers will cause problems.  Do you have the correct linkage for a 39 or 40 A body? 41 to 48 won't work, the towers are the same, but the linkage is different. 37 to 38 are different too. Try moving the linkages by hand after disconnecting from the motor to check for binding.

You can call Newport, they have been very helpful with me, even long after any warrantee had run out.

40 Chev Coupe

The transmissons are working fine, the chains arent binding. The Newport kit is from 1994, so just maybe tired.
I want to get a more modern fix with new style wipers. Tried the knurl adapters and all that happened was the knurls stripped.

enjenjo

Western Rain gear has a system that I tried, it was inadequate, I later changed it out for a Newport. Chevys of the 40s has one that is a clone of the Newport. It works good too. The only other one I have tried is the Specialty Power windows system, it works good, but you have to change the transmissions out for something else, and it's twice the price of Newport

On the splined adapters, Anco has some that hold up well.

If the motor is the problem, I am sure you can buy a replacement.

Inprimer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Western Rain gear has a system that I tried, it was inadequate, I later changed it out for a Newport. Chevys of the 40s has one that is a clone of the Newport. It works good too. The only other one I have tried is the Specialty Power windows system, it works good, but you have to change the transmissions out for something else, and it's twice the price of Newport

On the splined adapters, Anco has some that hold up well.

If the motor is the problem, I am sure you can buy a replacement.
In my Chevy(vert) I installed a  wiper unit from an older Jeep(read Post office)it wipes left to right, not like the original and I rigged it it with only 1 speed.It serves the purpose, and since it rains about 2" a yr here it's more for show than go

Charlie Chops 1940

Newport in my '40 Chevy for a long time now. Their part is fine but har to keep blades and wiper arms intact. GM's parts are poor at best.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!